1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Caught that Durn possom...PICS

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by twzlrwho, Apr 30, 2009.

1. twzlrwho

twzlrwho Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He'd be kinda cute...IF MY CHICKEN WASN'T IN HIS BELLY! I am just glad he couldn't get another one.

WOOHOO

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yea, he is kinda cute.

3. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    Let him show you his teeth. You won't think he's so cute then. [​IMG]

4. twzlrwho

twzlrwho Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    South VA
    Yeah those teeth are scary. And the fact that he is a chicken killer takes from the cuteness as well. Not to mention the diseases these things carry. UCK I am such a germaphobe (sp).

5. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    They are the ugliest of God's creatures. I am certain. I have never liked a possum, especially the ones I see up close.

6. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:totally agree. if intellegence was a requirement for the existance of life there would be none of these creatures on the planet.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I always think they have cute faces and ugly bodies. I think they have a creepy, slow way of moving that just skeeves me out.
    I really don't think they're scary, they are usually playing dead when I see those teeth [​IMG]
    At least they usually play dead in the trap, instead of trying to attack you through the wires. Raccoons are definitely scarier.

8. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I love them. They are so cute, but I'm sure when we move to ur new farm and have the chickens outside, I'll change my mind. [​IMG]

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Did ya'll know that possums eat slugs, snales, roaches, mice, rats and snakes - even poisonous ones? They have a special resistance to snake venom and it doesn't affect them.

They move slowly because they have a lower body temp than we do, since they are marsupials. I think their temp is like 95 or 97.
    99% of possums showing their teeth and hissing is bluff, I snatched a possum off the fence the other day thinking mine got out (with bare hands) and she just started gaping and drooling. Never even TRIED to bite. Some of them can be nasty, especially big males, but generally they are really harmless.

Possums don't carry very many contagious germs. They DO carry equine neurological syndrome (caught from eating peed on hay) and leptospirosis. Chickens can't catch either one and your pets should be vaccinated. They can't get rabies because of their low body temp, the virus can't survive in their bodies. I have handled MANY possums and I am immuno-compromised and have never caught squat from them.

Most critters think possums are pretty tasty, including humans. Up until the 1950s a very popular cookbook had recipes for possum, I think it was Better Homes and Gardens, but I could be wrong.

Possums are nomads and will only stick around if there is a food source. Unfortunately chickens are a food source. But if you can safeguard your chickens at night possums are really good to have around. We were haveing a mouse problem until a big possum came through and stayed for a while and now no more mice!

The poor things are really an under-appreciated species and have a lot more personality than most folks think. You just have to get to know one personally!

10. CoonX

CoonX Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Kingston, OK
    Quote:You might want to recheck that, there has been laboratory confirmed cases of rabies in opossums. Extremely rare, but they can get it.
    Only mammals with no confirmed cases so far, is the whales and dolphins.

Will

Oklahoma, where more cows get Rabies then dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by