1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Caught!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Wheeler Farms Chickens, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Wheeler Farms Chickens

Wheeler Farms Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Piedmont, South Dakota
    This cat was in my garage with the chicks the other day. I have caught it the last two nights in a live trap in my back yard. I guess the owners dont understand the paint. Any suggestions if I catch it again tonight?
    [​IMG]

2. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice paint job!

You could attach a note to him spelling it out or take it to the animal shelter where they will have to pay a fine to get it back.

3. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    poor kitty.... [​IMG]
    If you catch it again tonight, go all around and ask if its any of your neighbors' cats.
    if not, take it to a no kill shelter or just close up your garage

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    SSS
    They'll think it got run over, eaten by a coyote or ran away.
    The only problem is they'll just get another and let it roam to wreak havoc.
    Eventually they'll quit keeping cats.
    If I catch the neighbor's cat that's out here every day I'll do the same. So far it hasn't killed chickens but stands next to the run licking its chops. It does however do a number on the wild birds, frogs and lizards.

5. Wheeler Farms Chickens

Wheeler Farms Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Piedmont, South Dakota
    This cat jumped the fence into my back yard and went in through the dog door into the garage. I boarded up the dog door that day and went and got the live trap. I do not let my dog roam the neighborhood. He lives peacefully with the chickens and I dont see why I should have close his door into the garage to keep out someone else's cat. Especially when I have an enclosed back yard.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Get some paint thinner. Remove the red paint the put a white stripe down his back. Then somebody else will think it's a skunk and do away with it.

7. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I would also take it to a shelter- then perhaps leave a note on your neighbor's door letting them know. In their defense, I let my cats roam, but I rationalize it... We live in the country, so even though there is a neighborhood of about 15-20 houses behind our property, I figure it's okay, and my cats are here to catch mice- no way they could do that if they were confined. And I also know that I'm the only one with chickens and that the only other poultry are two muscovy ducks, who my cats aren't going to mess with. My point is that the cat owner may rationalize similarly, and I realize not everyone out there on the web agrees with the way I raise my animals- because of where we live both my dog and my cats are "free range," but other than chasing a squirrel into the neighbors yard they very seldom leave our 3 acres. If any of my neighbors ever had a problem I would hope that they would let me know somehow, but since I keep chickens I have been very proactive about letting people know to contact me- I even put a note on everyone's door letting them know that I am keeping chickens and how to contact me if anything bothers them. Other than the paint have you contacted them at all? I mean, if my cat came home with paint on her back I would just assume she'd gotten into wet paint, not that she was being a nuisance to someone.

8. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Quote:Thats horrible! haha its a cat not a fox [​IMG]

9. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I couldn't bring myself to shoot a cat...I would shoot any wild predator but not a cat, I have 2 as pets.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I have cat's, and chickens. So I am a bit sympathetic to the cat owner. I do keep my brooder's secure so cat's cannot get to them.

I know how hard it is to keep cats at home unless you keep them inside and then they don't much mouse catching! I live in the country, I need those mouser's in my barns. I would hope that if one of my cats was causing a problem at a neighbor's that they would give me the consideration of having a chat with me and giving me a chance to fix the situation before packing my pet off to the pound.

On the other hand if it's obviously an aggressive or feral cat then yes, I'd say send it to the pound.

As far as the paint, the owner's probably figure the cat got into something or up against something, rather than it being a sign of unhappiness from a neighbor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by