Caulk and venting question.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Haunted Chicken, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I thought I had a year to build a coop and ended up buying chickens ....the next day [​IMG] While looking on Craigslist for "things" to build a coop with I found a 6'x6'x6' used coop for $70. I couldn't pass it up and bought it sight unseen. I figured that even if it ended up temporary until I could build my dream coop it was worth the $. The walls had been removed prior to pick up so we didn't see it until we reassembled it. (made washing/bleaching it easier while in pieces) It was well marked and the nail holes lined up. The problem is that it doesn't have a single straight wall or square corner. Not one edge lines up. I'm sure the bottom shifted some in transition. Putting it back together was like a bad comedy routine. Square one side by having two people shove on the opposite corner hurry and tighten things up and the other end would pop up two inches. Then I decide to put one of the doors on the other side and it sat an inch too low using the original holes. After awhile you start saying "no problem, it's good enough". I just wanted it DONE! (please don't laugh...[​IMG] we are not carpenters)

It was red with pink patches [​IMG]. I've painted the inside white. Once it is complete we will paint the exterior to match the shed (hopefully the misalignment's wont show as much lol:fl) Other than the HUGE chicken door there was no ventilation. I added a used window (it opens) and two floor vents from the rebuilding center. (I wish I could remember who mentioned using the floor vents, thank you!!!) First question - Is this enough ventilation? Should I screen off part of the chicken door? Or close it in? The entire coop will be inside of a "safe" run so the two front doors can stay open in the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of the warping and non-square corners there are a few 1/4" gaps at the top of the walls. Do I leave this as mini ventilation [​IMG] or caulk it? Does caulk on the inside mater up this high or do I need to do it all from the out side? The vents will be trimmed in wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it's finished, the raspberry plants will be removed and the coop will be moved up against the side of the shed (I tried to talk DH into just letting me use the shed as a coop [​IMG] I thought it was good idea...he didn't, lol) The run will extend the length of the shed (12') and out 15' with a solid roof (same as shed) 7 1/2 feet in front sloping to 6 1/2 in back. We get a LOT of rain. So the full run in front of the coop will be 12x9 with access to one side and under the coop (eventually free ranging during the day). The egg door will be accessed with out going into the run.

2. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    I think that would be enough ventilation.

3. JulB

JulB Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I had a few good thunderstorms before I moved my chickens into the coop. Mostly I caulked to keep the water out. If it leaked, I caulked it.

4. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Having caulk up that high i dont think will really matter as it will be out of sight and probably out of mind. I personally caulk everything.

5. Haunted Chicken

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks, I guess I'll go ahead and caulk. It's not the most attractive looking coop, maybe having it's gaps filled in will help [​IMG] [​IMG]. I'm still not sure what to do about the huge gaping chicken door. Fill half in or leave it for lower ventilation? DH says upper and lower on one side wont create good air flow, is this true?

6. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    I read 1 SF of open space per bird is the right amount of ventilation. Not sure if it's true or not, but that's what I did. And yes, you want a cross breeze for proper movement of air, so holes on the same side wouldn't work. I did my main hole up top with a smaller vent down lower, but away from where the chickens should sleep to keep a draft off. Hope that helps. You can check my BYC page for a pics.

As for caulking, yeah, go for no leaks and no drafts. I caulked everywhere there was a gap that I didn't want one, but that was just me. Enjoy!

7. Haunted Chicken

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Your coop is gorgeous [​IMG]. I see that I need to figure out a good place for lower ventilation across from my vents. I was planning on the egg nests and food across from it and didn't want freezing air coming in on that side, I see I need to rethink things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by