Cause and Cure sought for scaly legs.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sgray136, Feb 27, 2009.

1. sgray136

sgray136 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Huntertown, Indiana
    I have a few of my free ranging bantams that have developed a white crusty scaly substance on their legs. It almost resembles calcium deposits on a pipe when left unchecked. The condition doesn't seem to affect the birds but it is unsightly. I am looking for a name to this condition and a possible cure.[​IMG]

2. mbrobbins

mbrobbins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Powder Springs, ga
    sounds like scaly leg mites. Treat with mineral oil (will smother the mites)vet Rx works well. Also found a website where a breeder said her vet recommended 4 cc ivermectin injectables in a gallon water, given to your small flock. Will kill internal and external parasites , leg mites too. I've tried that, works well.

3. sgray136

sgray136 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Huntertown, Indiana
    Thank you!

4. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    I just found out that my hen has scale mites really bad. I applied Ivermectin directly to her legs and it seems to be helping after only 48 hours.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, anykind of oil will drown the little suckers, even used motor oil. But there is more to it than that. You should also paint or spray oil on their roosts. WD40 works well for this.

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Automotive products should not be used on birds. It can harm them. Vaseline or oil is just as effectgive. Used motor oil is carcinogenic.

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    soak the legs in warm water and remove some of the crust before you apply oil on it... works far more efficient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by