Cause for alarm? Sleepy chick.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoffeeCow, May 27, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I have a new 4 day old chick, she sleeps a lot in the brooder and is really slow to open her eyes up after waking up. She will even get up and walk around with her eyes shut. I can pick her up and play with her, still has her eyes shut... I thought that she couldnt open them at all for a while, but when I put her back in the brooder one of the other chicks (playfully) pecked at her, and she opened one eye. so I watched them for half an hour or so, and I lost her in the bunch, they all had both eyes open. so I thought .. problem solved.
    Wrong...
    I go back in about 2 hours later, and she is sleeping again. I didn't pick her up this time, I just woke her and watched.
    She got up (eyes closed) and wandered around the brooder, bumping into 2 or 3 of her mates. then went to the food dish and ate a bit, then moseyed over to the water and got a drink... all with both eyes firmly closed.
    So, I pick her up again, and try to get her to open her eyes... She won't, no matter what I try.. So, back in she goes, and another playful kick from one of her mates, she opens one eye....

This can't be normal?
    She is getting around, she isn't lethargic, she is eating and drinking, but she does sleep an aweful lot compared to her mates...

Any ideas?

2. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like mystery chick behavior to me, just keep an eye on them all, temps warm, and butts clean.

3. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    She is mostly dead this morning =/... Just laying there... [​IMG]
    Brooder is 92 on the hot side, 86 on the cool side, no signs of pasty butt on any chick.

She was moving about last night just fine, both eyes open. It just looks like a matter of time now.
    I am very sad this morning. [​IMG]

Edit:
    She died.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a failure to thrive or shipping stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by