1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Cause of death 6 month old chicken?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicklinc, Apr 12, 2017.

1. chicklinc

chicklinc New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    I'm new to chickens. We started our first flock with 6, lost 2 to predators. That's been solved. This is about one that died today and we don't know why.

Chickaletta is a 6 month old buff Orpington (all our chickens are different breeds) she was off to a slow start as the runt of our flock and getting her feathers in later then the rest but for many months she was just one of the gang with no problems. Up until 4 days ago, all our chickens were confined to a lovely 8x8 coop with an 8x16 run.

I have 4 children so a few days my go by where someone else is fetching eggs and checking food and water etc.

4 days ago we let them have a supervised free roam for about an hour then again 3 days ago for about 3 hours. Then 2 days ago I had them out for about 15 min when I had to run into the house for 8 minutes and when I came out there was a trail of feathers and a missing chicken who was never found. I quickly scooped them all up and I noticed she was REALLY light. I was so distracted in my hunt to find the missing chicken I didn't pay much attention to the weight loss. Later that day I noticed her seeming lethargic but was thinking maybe she was traumatized by her sisters disappearance.

Yesterday she was lethargic, weak and puffed up. ( I now realized she looked puffed up the day before as well) and stayed in the coop. I offered her food by hand which she nibbled. I hung out with her for a while. There we no signs of injury. Last night I peeked in and she was on the floor in the corner not on roost with sisters.

This morning she was even worse. When picked up and placed back down she'd fall over. There was yellow greenish feces. Somr of her under tail feathers had black specs but they didn't wipe off - looked like mildew. I don't have any other solid color chickens to compare if this is normal coloring or not.

Not all of our chickens lay yet and only one has been caught in the act. I'm guessing this girl was not laying yet.

We took an X-ray to check for egg bound but no egg there. There was a lot of food in her cloaca and gizzard. She was cold. We provided her with warmth and gave her fluid under her skin and metacam. she died a few hours later.

She was vaccinated for merely at the hatchery

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC but sorry that it is not under better circumstances that you join us. I'd say the best place to post your question would be the ER forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10 where hopefully the experts will be able to give you some suggestions.

Best wishes
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm so sorry, do you think she went into shock.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chicklinc [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shock came to mind for me also. That or possibly parasites; lice or mites or worms?

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! Sorry for your loss. :(

6. chicklinc

chicklinc New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Oops! Thought I was in the health section! Like I said - I'm new - to chickens and the forum :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by