Cause of hen's death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jwdwsn, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jwdwsn

jwdwsn New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    I realize it may be impossible for anyone to explain why one of our hen's died today, but maybe someone could get me on the right path so I make sure it doesn't happen to our other chickens.

Marge, a Plymouth Rock, was found deceased in her nesting cubicle today. She is a little less than a year old and was the largest of our hens. She seemed very active the days before.

Temperature wise, its gotten into the mid 20s a couple of times in the past week, but last night it was much warmer in the 40s. I'm not sure if temperature has anything to do with it. They are sheltered, though there are windows on their coup. She's eaten the same thing as all the other hens (basic feed with leftover pulp of carrots, apples, grapefruit, etc, along with crumbled egg shells.)

Do chickens sometimes die as a result of laying an egg? That's the only other thing I can think of.

Thanks for any input you might be able to provide.

Jimmy

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    yes they can die laying a egg. it is called being egg-bound. my hen died a couple months ago from this. did she seem lethargic before she died. this is one of the main symptoms

3. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Although I don't know much about egg binding, I know that it can cause death. I believe, however, that usually they are egg bound for a couple days before they die.

Maybe googling egg binding will give you some better info.

Just like people, chickens can die suddenly for no apparent reason. You can almost expect to lose a chicken here and there.

Sorry for you loss. I've lost 14 birds out of 33 since March, some suddenly, some to predators, some to diseases. Even after so many, I never got immune to it. But you are doing the right thing, looking for answers.

Good luck. Sorry I can't be of more help.

4. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC.

Sorry about your loss. You said that she was the largest bird and it's possible that she had a heart condition and it caught her in the strain of laying an egg.

Sometimes chickens, and other things, just die. It's sad.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by