cause of red droppings?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kk454, Dec 3, 2009.

1. kk454

kk454 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2009
    Montana
    My husband I just got set up with a flock of 13 chickens (2 three year old hens and 11 newly laying pullets) of mixed heritage. They have a large coop and a large fenced foraging area.

Today, we noticed a few red droppings in the coop (see attached images). The droppings are a consistent red color throughout. All birds are active and alert. We've googled coccidiosis thinking that might be the cause, but we're new to raising chickens and would like a second opinion. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

oh thanks for this...one of my girls has the exact same thing..new to chickens here and only had them for about 3-4 weeks. Someone has 'red' droppings so I am interested to hear if someone has any info.?

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Cocci maybe??

4. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
  5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
  6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Did you feed them anything red? My chickens poop changes color depending on what they eat. I don't think this is cocci.

7. kk454

kk454 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2009
    Montana
    We can't recall feeding them anything red, but they did gorge themselves on squash and some other vegetables they haven't had before yesterday. Another 8 hours have past since we first noticed this, and none of the birds appear to be sick. I went ahead and treated for cocci with Amprolium in the event I am wrong. We are going to clean out all straw bedding and droppings in the morning, and see if this was diet related. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by