1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Causes of diarrhea in chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmlew99, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hello! I know this isn't a great topic, but I've been noticing my hen has a messy butt feathers around her vent, and I've been seeing "loose" feces in the pine shavings below the roost in the morning. Her back is bare from my rooster mating with her, but that is her only other issue. She also has a touch of frostbite on her comb

My chickens haven't been wormed, and they are confined to a dirt run at the moment (she is used to free ranging). I feed them Nutrena layer feed. Is this a well balanced feed? Or are there better ones out there? What could be the cause of her diarrhea?

2. Your feed is good.

Stress is a contributor. As is fluctuating temps (greater chance in spring) especially when it gets warm quickly.

Sometimes it just happens. In other words "excrement occurs". I wouldn't worry too much unless it persists for a few days.

Wish yes the best.

3. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    It's been going on for a few weeks, actually. I can't figure out what her deal is:/ it definitely could be stress, it probably isn't much fun being confined in the run and coop in subzero temperatures

4. If it has persisted for a few weeks you do have an issue.

Some things to investigate are 1). Worms- you can get a test done. 2). Maybe even a disease- again a test is effective. 3). Diet is a contributor. Chickens like their greens and this time of year in the northeast they are hard to come by

I hope you are able to find the key to helping her out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by