CAUTION! Pics may disturb. Abscess on my rooster?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by backyardflock94, Jan 18, 2017.

1. backyardflock94

backyardflock94 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Hey all,

Just made an account here on BYC after a few years of checking periodically for tips. Unfortunately it is because my rooster is not in good health.

A couple days ago I noticed some blood on his right wing, just a couple spots and his balance to be slightly off. I checked him over and stayed in the coop to watch his behavior..nothing else was off that I could tell.

The next morning I went out and saw that he has completely covered his wing in blood and popped what I am now thinking is some kind of abscess. His balance was still slightly off but more so I think because he was pecking at himself.

Later that day with some help I set up a cage in our garage with a heat lamp (we live in Wisconsin), and all the amenities. He seemed he have lower energy and was not as perky. When I did another check on him I saw two more abscesses..one on the back of his neck and one just above his tail.

I am posting pictures and hoping someone has any info on what to do about this. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I see you've posted on the ER forum, hopefully someone there will be able to help you figure out what is going on.

Hope your rooster will be ok soon!

3. backyardflock94

Jan 18, 2017
    Wisconsin

Thanks NFC..I accidently put it in the new member forum but I think I will get more replies in the ER one. He is perkier since getting more attention..just not sure what to do next/how to remove it

4. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    There's no problem at all that you posted in the new member forum...gives more people a chance to say hello and maybe have some answers for you.

Glad to hear your boy is feeling a bit better with the TLC.

Good luck!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

X2. Good luck with your rooster!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under backyardflock94 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope your little man makes a full recovery.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. backyardflock94

Jan 18, 2017
    Wisconsin

Thanks Teila!

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry you are having trouble.

Has be been in any previous incidents involving dogs or anything?

Is it actually just blood coming out of those or is it more like puss and blood? Many times something like that will be relieved with a puncture and recover once it's drained. But that wouldn't help you with the root of the problem. An underlying infection maybe.

A trip to my vet is $45... but we can't always afford to take them and so make the best decisions we can with what little knowledge we do have. But I don't wanna start throwing crazy ideas out until maybe you get some more experienced suggestions.

But in case it helps with diagnosis.... How old is he? What do you feed including treats? Anything new in the environment? Other roosters on site?

Hope he gets better! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh dear...:/ good luck to you! Welcome...!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by