CAUTION! Pics may disturb. Abscess on my rooster?

backyardflock94

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2017
Wisconsin
Hey all,

Just made an account here on BYC after a few years of checking periodically for tips. Unfortunately it is because my rooster is not in good health.

A couple days ago I noticed some blood on his right wing, just a couple spots and his balance to be slightly off. I checked him over and stayed in the coop to watch his behavior..nothing else was off that I could tell.

The next morning I went out and saw that he has completely covered his wing in blood and popped what I am now thinking is some kind of abscess. His balance was still slightly off but more so I think because he was pecking at himself.

Later that day with some help I set up a cage in our garage with a heat lamp (we live in Wisconsin), and all the amenities. He seemed he have lower energy and was not as perky. When I did another check on him I saw two more abscesses..one on the back of his neck and one just above his tail.

I am posting pictures and hoping someone has any info on what to do about this.

Thanks for the replies!

This first pic is the one above his tail

Last edited:
I can't help but from what i've seen others say there are three options
1) Get him to the vets
2) Put him down
3) cut feathers around the abscess' and DIY operation if possible - I don't know if its possible but if it is someone will be around in the next 24hrs to tell you it is and how to do it.

I can't help but from what i've seen others say there are three options
1) Get him to the vets 
2) Put him down 
3) cut feathers around the abscess' and DIY operation if possible - [COLOR=FF0000]I don't know if its possible but if it is someone will be around in the next 24hrs to tell you it is and how to do it. [/COLOR]

He has perked up since given some TLC so I think he has more than 24 hours of life in him. He seems more comfortable now but it's bugging me I don't have the resources to do anything yet..which is why I reached out on here.

Thanks for the reply Taimon01!

i wonder if it has a mite infestation that caused itching/scratches that got infected and now cysts
but all guessing, vet is the best if you can get him there

Good Luck!!!

i wonder if it has a mite infestation that caused itching/scratches that got infected and now cysts
but all guessing, vet is the best if you can get him there

Good Luck!!!

Shaking his head back and forth would be a sign of mites right? I did see him so that..could be also why he is having some slight balance issues

Back
Top Bottom