1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cayenne pepper powder to cure worms - how hot????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by McGoo, Jun 29, 2009.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I read through a bunch of threads and found that cayenne pepper powder 3 tablespoons per gallon of feed will kill worms in chickens - nice and natural. And also to keep using it to protect the chickens... not to mention that the dog or other animals will steer clear of the hot stuff!

Question - In my search for bulk cayenne powder at
    http://www.starwest-botanicals.com

they list many levels of HU (heat units) and I don't know which is the best one for chickens. [​IMG]

Do you know????​

2. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I would think just a unit that comes close to what humans would eat in a medioum strength

we quit raising havinarous as they were extremely hot
    but the other hot peppers we use are hot but bearable
    so pick a 2 maube
    as I imagine the weak is a 1 but 2 o3 units would be what I would pick

chickens can do the hot pepper thing
    one BYC member stated his chicken ate 7 hot peppers at one time

let me know what you picked email me PM
    any questions email me also

3. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    To help prevent worms, yes - but not to cure an infestation. Important difference. [​IMG]

4. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    none of those things mentioned in that article will help worms ...I noted that pumpkin seed (which is helpful in management was not mentioned.
    Cayenne pepper has been shown to help stimulate the immune system (in specific poultry research) / ACV is an acidifier which helps in calcium absorption and lower gut ph (to help with bacterial issues) but neither of these two is known to help in worm management and none of the above will be effective as a treatment method in a case of active worm infestation.
    For some research studies see here:
    http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=holisticherbal

6. threehorses

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:I do have to say that I really like the word "management" rather than prevention.

Prevention just sounds too certain. Management really is more correct.

7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all.

I guess I'll need to use a chemical to kill the suckers [​IMG] ... and then I'll use the cayenne powder to keep them at bay.

8. threehorses

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:Whatever you do, get rid of them. They're $tealing your food$tuff. [​IMG]

9. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I have tried to take the "natural" approach to worming by using periodic DE in feed, cayenne pepper in feed, pumpkin seeds......... well my birds ended up with worms. I had to treat with Wazine. But in 3 yrs this is the first signs of worms. Is this normal?

10. threehorses

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:You're in Texas, so I'd say yes. We and Florida are the worm capitals of the US. In fact so much so that drug companies do their tests here because of our issues with parasites.

Three years is a good run!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by