Cayenne pepper powder to cure worms - how hot????

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
I read through a bunch of threads and found that cayenne pepper powder 3 tablespoons per gallon of feed will kill worms in chickens - nice and natural. And also to keep using it to protect the chickens... not to mention that the dog or other animals will steer clear of the hot stuff!

Question - In my search for bulk cayenne powder at
http://www.starwest-botanicals.com

they list many levels of HU (heat units) and I don't know which is the best one for chickens.
idunno.gif

Do you know????​

I would think just a unit that comes close to what humans would eat in a medioum strength

we quit raising havinarous as they were extremely hot
but the other hot peppers we use are hot but bearable
so pick a 2 maube
as I imagine the weak is a 1 but 2 o3 units would be what I would pick

chickens can do the hot pepper thing
one BYC member stated his chicken ate 7 hot peppers at one time

let me know what you picked email me PM
any questions email me also

none of those things mentioned in that article will help worms ...I noted that pumpkin seed (which is helpful in management was not mentioned.
Cayenne pepper has been shown to help stimulate the immune system (in specific poultry research) / ACV is an acidifier which helps in calcium absorption and lower gut ph (to help with bacterial issues) but neither of these two is known to help in worm management and none of the above will be effective as a treatment method in a case of active worm infestation.
For some research studies see here:
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=holisticherbal

Quote:
I do have to say that I really like the word "management" rather than prevention.

Prevention just sounds too certain. Management really is more correct.

I have tried to take the "natural" approach to worming by using periodic DE in feed, cayenne pepper in feed, pumpkin seeds......... well my birds ended up with worms. I had to treat with Wazine. But in 3 yrs this is the first signs of worms. Is this normal?

Quote:
You're in Texas, so I'd say yes. We and Florida are the worm capitals of the US. In fact so much so that drug companies do their tests here because of our issues with parasites.

Three years is a good run!

Back
Top Bottom