Cayuga and Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chrome99, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Chrome99

Chrome99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    I was looking to get two ducks this summer. I have neighbors that live close by so I don't want ducks that will make a lot of noise. After some research I think a male cayuga and female muscovy would be great. Will these two get along fine or do they need others of their own kind? Will they mate? Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a newbie question :)

2. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

I personally would just go with a pair of scovies. They are both really quite and they do this awesome courtship greeting?? My pair do it all the time. And that way you can sell non mix scovies babies if you wanted to. My females both go broody so if your lucky maybe yours will also. :) Best of luck!

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    The 2 breeds should get along fine. They will breed but will produce sterile offspring if allowed to hatch.

You may have a hard time finding 2 breeders that will allow you to buy only 1 duckling.

4. Chrome99

Mar 20, 2013

Ah ok. I have friends who would be more than happy to take extra birds from a larger order. Do you know of any place online where I can buy mixed ducklings? What would the minimum order most likely be? Also I'm assuming sexed ducklings often end up being the opposite of what was ordered?

5. birdbaby213

birdbaby213 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    ashford ct
    I had a male cayuga and a female mascovey for the past year they get alone great . I have introduced a female cayuga and hope to get a male mascovey as well

6. Chrome99

Mar 20, 2013

Did you get them from a breeder online?

7. birdbaby213

birdbaby213 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    ashford ct
    The mascovey came from a friend and i got the female cayuga from someone on craigslist .. i would suggest you get a pair of one or the other if you want babies. if you do the mascovey is a great brooder

8. Chrome99

Mar 20, 2013
    I don't plan on having chicks right now. Maybe later when I expand the flock. I don't really care for the way the muscovy male looks, one of the reasons why I wanted a cayuga. I don't know, I'm sure lots of people are turned away by their appearance at first...maybe I could learn to love it :)

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know where you are located but I have a very sweet drake[Muscovy] that could use a home where he would be top drake. He will be 1 in April.
    [​IMG]My criteria for a good home is very high though, thats why he is still here. He even has his own girlfriend she will be 1 in May.

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    There are very few hatcheries that sell Muscovy. Meyer does and JM Hatchery. I'm not sure if they sell cayugas and I don't think they sex them. I also don't know what their minimums are but if I remember correctly I think JM is 15 or 25.

You may be better off trying to find adult birds locally. That way you know what the gender is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by