Cayuga and Runner mating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaitkait, Dec 13, 2014.

1. kaitkait

kaitkait Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Arizona
    Hi,

My ducks have reached the age where they're starting to mate. We noticed this a few days ago and today our male was mounting the female quite a lot.
    I have some worries, as our male is a Cayuga duck and the female is an indian runner. She's smaller compared to him (also a few weeks younger as we got them separately)
    She's also the only female we have and he's the only male we have- I wanted to get one more female but we also have 8 chickens and don't have space for more ducks right now
    is this something to worry about?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You do need to watch out for her - he may be too large for her, and there is the concern about too much mating. You may need to separate them from time to time.

3. kaitkait

kaitkait Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Arizona
    How should I separate them? They grew up together and when separated for even a few minutes they start quacking their heads off. They free range our backyard.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He may not be too large since I believe Cayugas aren't considered heavy weights. I have Muscovy drakes weighing in at 12-15 lbs mating with Muscovy ducks weighing in at 4-6 lbs. mating is rough though and since he is just coming into his hormones he is going to want to mate alot, If you notice feathers being pulled out or over mating just one duck then use temporary fencing to keep him separated from the girls for a time, But be ware he may go over the top. I use to get so upset with my drakes when mating was going on non stop till I noticed my girls actually asking for it. So observe your ducks. and having a pool of water really does help the girls out.
    Back up plan in place in case he gets overly amorous. If they can see each other when separated that will help.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, a separator fence, where they can see each other and sit next to each other. They will fuss a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by