Cayuga Angel Wing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CayugaJana, Oct 14, 2017.

1. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    IMG_3790.JPG IMG_3799.JPG IMG_3801.JPG IMG_3823.JPG IMG_3824.JPG IMG_3830.JPG IMG_3834.JPG IMG_3846.JPG IMG_3848.JPG My male cayuga is about 7 weeks old and he had a large growth spurt about two weeks ago. I noticed his wings or the little carpel things where his wings eventually will come out was sticking out from his body. Rather than laying up against his body. I watched it for about a week and they kept sticking out more and more. So I was pretty sure it was angel wing. Plus when I would get home from work I would notice my boys had got the bags of mealworms out and fed them a WHOLE big bag of them. This happened a couple days in a row. So I think the large amounts of protein is why Skipper had a big growth spurt making his wings weak and unsturdy. I have attached some photos of what he looked like and what I did. I cut the toe off of a lightweight flexible dress sock. Then I slipped it over his head and moved it in place. I have put the sock on him 3 nights out of the last week and I can tell a big difference after each night. It will probably only take a few more nights.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Best thing you could have done .

And the sock matches his coloring so well the other ducks probably didn't even notice ;)

3. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Yes I got a black sock so they wouldn't pick at him. We tried the wrapping thing with vet wrap, but we were both left frustrated. The sock was 10X easier and he didn't mind it.

Lil Drake40, casportpony and gilbert2 like this.
  4. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I did watch them grow...... and I've watched several others grow before. There is no doubt in my mind that his wings would continue to grow away from his body instead of next to it. His growth was unusual.

And if you will read, I did take the wrap off. I left it on only overnight while he was sleeping. There is no drawback to the sock being on overnight.

5. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I'm essentially covering his wings at night then watching his wings during the day. So I am watching them, just with a little help at night.;) His wings actually are worse than what the pictures show however it's hard to get a still shot. I was posting more so others can see options of how to treat it if their birds have it. :D

Lil Drake40 and casportpony like this.
  6. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    That's good to know. Thanks chickens really.

casportpony and chickens really like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

I could def see one wing starting to turn out listen even if not angel wing which I believe it was a start, sure can not hurt to wrap or put a sock over it and see what happens. I have had many ducks droop their wings when their blood feathers are growing in but haven't had one where the wing was turning out if I did I'd def wrap or put a sock over it.

8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
  9. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    How long have you been raising ducks, and how many have you raised?

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    That is actually incorrect... in fact, I think ducks get it more commonly than geese... you just see it more in geese because many are a lot more 'hands off' with the larger waterfowl... easier to correct it in ducks being smaller and less intimidating for people to handle...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: