Cayuga carriage? *pictures*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maralynn28, Jun 3, 2010.

1. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Sorry all for bombarding you with these questions, could be I'm just a little overprotective. I noticed that the Cayuga that I had wrapped up for a few days to correct her twisted wing now walks a bit lower to the ground than the other 3 ducks, more like a rouen? Could she just be stiff from being wrapped and needs a little while to loosen up again or is this a concern? I hope I didn't screw her up while trying to solve a minor issue.
    I really appreciate your help.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Could she just be FAT? This is the same slug muncher I've been posting about so maybe it's catching up with her weight-wise. If so, how do I go about a duckie diet without bothering the other 3. They are all perfectly healthy.

Here are some photos...notice the bump on her chest?
    [​IMG]

Here you can compare her with the other 3...???
    [​IMG]

This is them walking, she is still like that...
    [​IMG]

Someone please help?

3. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    To be honest with you, your girl looks a lil' overweight ^^' (I could be wrong) I had a Cayuga drake myself, but he never walked that low. I don't think my Rouen drake does either, but I'd have to check [​IMG]

What are you feeding currently?

4. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Quote:I was actually HOPING for that and not some kind of other physical problem. You can see the obvious difference in my 2. They are fed 2x daily flock raiser and oats mixed for 5 mins as "Storey's" says for their age, then are allowed to forage all day. This one in particular LOVES the buggies. The other three are just fine which is why I was wondering if it was something else. How do I get her back in shape without affecting the others? She was bandaged for a few days and didn't like to swim with it on, if I just let her be naturally should it be enough to take the weight off.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Mine were always much more the lowriders than my khakis'

6. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Quote:Hahahahah....she looks like my little fatty girl. Her and her sisters look like that. Too many snails. You should watch her try and fly...so funny

7. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Quote:Thank you!!!! So it's not a concern and I don't need to do anything about it? I just wanna love her for her gorgeous plumage and AWESOME slug eating skills!

8. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I'm so glad to know she's just fat!

9. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I'm starting to think that's just it! I thought it could be "water belly" but not sure what that looks like, if it was up high or low...I figured it would show lower if she started gaining too much weight tho. Could just be my imagination, but she looks a little better already. They were really active yesterday, so who knows.
    If she's just fat, I don't care as long as it won't harm her. I can't keep her from her insects...and she IS a little piggy, but she's one of our favorites. I would be so heartbroken if anything happened to her so thank you all for the piece of mind. I know I can be a bit paranoid sometimes, especially since I'm a newbie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by