Cayuga Drake -inator nearly killing duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cayugacampbell, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Cayugacampbell

Cayugacampbell New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    I rescued a pair of Cayugas about a month ago. They are two yrs and have always lived together with about fifteen Khaki Campbells ducks and drakes....I am told it was a peaceful flock!

I noticed the Drake was very demanding of the duck so last week I bought two Khaki Campbell ducks to spread his desire!!!

He has now attacked his Cayuga duck to the point she is cowering in the duck house and bald and bleeding at the neck. He attacks and drags her by the neck and then lifts up her wings. He won't let her near the pond. As soon as he has bullied or attacked her he goes over to the two 11 month KC ducks and is as nice as pie!!! He attacks even when she has her back to him and cowering in submission!

I have moved him into my allotment which runs across the 30 ft by 25 ft chuck n duck run. He is parading up the fence annoyed he can't continue the agression.

Do I rehome the Khakis? Or rehome him??? and would three female live in harmony? I also keep four ex batts in there and they all seem to get on apart from ....Drake-inator!

Any advice gratefully accepted! There is no real need to breed other than as a potential home ed project. I could keep the khakis in another run if I build one this weekend....

Will he go back to loving his Cayuga girl nicely if I remove his younger tottie???

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] and I personally would remove any drake that harmed my ducks

3. Cayugacampbell

Cayugacampbell New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome. I isolated him...but, what is the way forward? Is it just how drakes behave in the mating season? He has changed into a predator!

4. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Welcome! I agree, although I've never had it happened with my ducks, this afternoon, I had a Semi-Bantam rooster nearly kill one of my OEGB hens -- it looks like his weight snapped he hip. I separated him from my OEGBs and Sebright and I would certainly do the same if I had a harmful drake.

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I on't think so. Drakes usually direct territorial hatred to each other rather than the hens.

6. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    I'd say it's time to put the pot on to boil.

[​IMG]

7. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    That sounds more aggressive than "normal" drake aggression. I have an adolescent drake who can be a handful, but if I caught him doing that to any of the girls I don't think he would make it through the day.
    I would also NOT re-home him or be at all surprised if he was re-homed to you due to these issues. "The flock is peaceful, now that he's in your car," kind of situation.
    It could also be the case that he was in a flock with a tougher drake in charge & they didn't see these behaviors because he was kept in line by another drake.

It sounds awful, but I think you need to think of the health of your entire flock. Maybe re-home him to a food only home. He sounds like bad news to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by