1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cayuga Drake making very odd sounds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaitkait, Jan 1, 2015.

1. kaitkait

kaitkait Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Arizona
    Hi,

I have some concern about my male cayuga duck.
    I've noticed he will make a noise sorta similar to a donkey, or sometimes it will sound more like he's burping up air (but he doesn't open up his beak)
    He also makes really weird, sort of like raspy breathing noises when walking around, or when he's running towards something (he does it when I'm throwing treats to our flock and he's running to try and get every single one)

I have one other duck, a female runner, and she seems fine to me. They are both around 5 months, and our cayuga is pretty quiet, does more of a whisper quack
    Is something wrong with him? I can't get close to them to check them unless I corner them (which I really don't like to, as they freak out), otherwise they run

Help is appreciated
    I can go try and record the sounds if needed

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Your drake sounds like he's making those terrifically attractive masculine noises that drakes sometimes make.

3. kaitkait

kaitkait Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Arizona
    Hmmm, so it's normal? First time duck owner here so wasn't so sure haha. Btw very beautiful runner in your pic:)

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    My drake does the same thing, especially when he's running toward my female he's not allowed to breed with (she's protected by a fence). ;)

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, Elfie is lovely. Her personality is lovely, too. Very mellow most of the time, friendly, inquisitive, and the day I saw her sumo wrestling with Romy, I was shocked! She's got more spunk that I had thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by