Cayuga drake swollen abdomen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shortperson2002, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Shortperson2002

Shortperson2002 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    Nc
    Help my Cayuga drake just developed this bump under his abdomen today I believe. I'm not sure what it could be. There has been no feed changes and his pool is changed daily. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. tblee

tblee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    lowestoft England
    Is it soft or hard or can you give any more info on it, I'm currently dealing with a similar problem on one of my hens which I now believe to be a cyst, I've managed to treat successfully so far.

3. Shortperson2002

Mar 6, 2014
    Nc

I just check him it's completly soft like there's nothing there but skin. I pressed a little harder but I'm pretty sure it was bone I touched. I then picked up my Ancona drake and check to see if he had the same bone structure and it was exactly the same. The Cayuga is a little over a year and it seems like a fat pack.

4. tblee

tblee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    lowestoft England
    If it keeps expanding quickly it could be a cyst it will need to be drained and treated
    Hopefully this might get picked up by someone who might know more about it but my hens lump was nearly touching the ground it expanded that fast she's a lot better since I drained it
    if its soft and just under the skin it very similar to her lump when I first noticed it
    I made the mistake of leaving it and it hardened up in places so I would recommend not to leave it to long as it will be difficult to get out the pus

5. Shortperson2002

Mar 6, 2014
    Nc

With your hens cyat do you feel a ball or anything?

With my drake it feels like just extra skin. He's acting totally normal and still runs fast. His eating is good too.

It seems to be pretty close to his poop chute too. Oh and he's molting.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Might not be anything to worry about just keep track of it in case it changes in any way, especially since you say your other drake has the same thing. I'll have to check my Scovy drake tomorrow and see if he has one.

7. Shortperson2002

Mar 6, 2014
    Nc

Thanks! My other drake does not have the sagging "pouch" but the hard spot I felt on both of them seemed to be bone. I pressed around in both of them to make sure they cayuga had no differences between him and the ancona. The pouch seems to be saggy skin but I've never encountered anything like this before. I feel bad for him, and just want to make sure he's ok. He does not enjoy being held at all, but I have a feeling after all this is said and done he's going to avoid me like no other. :)

8. Shortperson2002

Mar 6, 2014
    Nc
    I'll post another picture of him soon.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good idea, I was going to ask if you would. I think if it was a cyst it would feel hard and swollen. or mushy? not sure about cysts.

10. Shortperson2002

Mar 6, 2014
    Nc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by