Cayuga Drake?

Russell2000

Chirping
May 13, 2020
Hey yall, I traded one of my 2 month old ducks for a new 3 month old drake (my current drake is getting old and I dont think he will get the job done next year) at a swap meet. We are fairly certain that he is a Cayuga based on the colorization of his head and beak but he has a rather dark brown body as opposed to dark green which is throwing us off. Is this a normal variation within Cayuga ducks or does he possibly have some mallard or other duck in is blood line? The guy I traded for is just now getting started in duck keeping and didnt know much about breeds. Thanks for the help! 20200705_120921.jpg

I can't speak on what's normal as a whole but my 7 week old Cayuga is also brown in some spots and I think it's just the early feathers. His baby fuzz was black/brown and he still has some of the brown fuzz left over. I was told he's pure Cayuga and the woman who sold me my ducklings kept all her ducks separated by breed so I don't have reason to believe he's a mix. As he's gotten older more and more of his feathers have grown in green or black or even some blue, but still has brown, mostly on his chest and by his tail.

My Cayuga Drake does have quite a bit of brown on his body..but he is half Rouen. I had a couple of full cayuga Drakes and I do believe they had some brown on their body but not quite as much. but I did not keep them very long so I don't know what they were like after a molt.

That's pretty much exactly what my guy looks like in the sunshine on his back, some blue and green (almost what looks like some purples as well) on his back but not nearly as much color as your Cayuga. Since you said yours is 7 weeks old that would put them both around the same age. Since yours is undoudebtly full Cayuga that puts a ton of my doubts about him to rest. Your duck is incredibly gorgeous so thanks for sharing!

Hey yall, I traded one of my 2 month old ducks for a new 3 month old drake (my current drake is getting old and I dont think he will get the job done next year) at a swap meet. We are fairly certain that he is a Cayuga based on the colorization of his head and beak but he has a rather dark brown body as opposed to dark green which is throwing us off. Is this a normal variation within Cayuga ducks or does he possibly have some mallard or other duck in is blood line? The guy I traded for is just now getting started in duck keeping and didnt know much about breeds. Thanks for the help!View attachment 2228112

I've been told Cayuga Drakes won't have really green plumage until around full maturity. Some even as late at 20-24 weeks old. So it could be that he just doesn't have his "nuptial" plumage yet.

Back
Top Bottom