cayuga drake's mating issue

Chi

Songster
Dec 5, 2017
Hi all,
My 2 cayuga ducks are fully grown up now! One of them is a drake and the other one has just started laying eggs. I also have another 2 female 2 year old muscovy ducks. The issue is the drake has started to mate with the 2 muscovy ducks recently, but he doesn't mate with the cayuga!!!!!! Its really weird and I don't know why. I also find that the muscovy ducks are too big for the drake and I don't think he can mate with them successfully. It's also not a good idea to raise the cross breed i think? Don't know what's going on there and need some advice please.

It all depends upon your goals for your flock. In and of itself the Cayuga mating the Muscovies is no problem, but any possible offspring will be mules/sterile. They are great for eating but are infertile and in my experience the hens laid no eggs. Miss Lydia gives a great suggestion if your goal is raising more Cayugas.

Maybe you could pen up the 2 Cayugas and see if any bonding happens?
They grew up together and they are always together. He is very protective and follows her around but he doesn’t mate with her ...:

Back
Top Bottom