0iseau

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
Hi, I just hatched my first flock of ducks 4 weeks ago. I have 6 happy and healthy ducklings. Today I noticed that the bills of 3 of my ducklings are turning a more green/blue rather than the black they were before.
I know it’s not uncommon for pekin bills to get freckles or for cayugas to turn yellow, but I’m having trouble finding anything about it being green.
health info: being fed duckling starter & grower with dried crickets and mealworms as treats, water changes about 6-8 times a day, spends their days outside in a pen w/ covering and a kiddie pool, brought in at night due to temps & safety concerns. They have access to food and water all the time, minus the few minutes I take it to clean & fill.

I will attempt to get some photos tomorrow - it is 4am and I desperately need sleep.
if anyone has an idea as to what is going on then please let me know. I’m not too worried as I’ve had something similar happen with my parrot, but I do want to make sure it’s just me being overly cautious and not something wrong.

Hi, I just hatched my first flock of ducks 4 weeks ago. I have 6 happy and healthy ducklings. Today I noticed that the bills of 3 of my ducklings are turning a more green/blue rather than the black they were before.
I know it’s not uncommon for pekin bills to get freckles or for cayugas to turn yellow, but I’m having trouble finding anything about it being green.
health info: being fed duckling starter & grower with dried crickets and mealworms as treats, water changes about 6-8 times a day, spends their days outside in a pen w/ covering and a kiddie pool, brought in at night due to temps & safety concerns. They have access to food and water all the time, minus the few minutes I take it to clean & fill.

I will attempt to get some photos tomorrow - it is 4am and I desperately need sleep.
if anyone has an idea as to what is going on then please let me know. I’m not too worried as I’ve had something similar happen with my parrot, but I do want to make sure it’s just me being overly cautious and not something wrong.
My cayuga's bill turned green/olive.

When my Mallard ducklings would do this they turned out to be Drakes. They all had the olive green bills and females had black with tints of yellow on them. Good luck.
My cayuga with the green/olive bill was absolutely a female. She quacked and layed black eggs.

I've never kept adult cayuga drakes, but in photos I've seen of them with the curly tail feather they have more yellow bills. Of course they could be mixed breeds.

I'm not saying your observation is wrong in mallards, just that it may be different with cayugas.

My cayuga with the green/olive bill was absolutely a female. She quacked and layed black eggs.

I've never kept adult cayuga drakes, but in photos I've seen of them with the curly tail feather they have more yellow bills. Of course they could be mixed breeds.

I'm not saying your observation is wrong in mallards, just that it may be different with cayugas.
You are so right that different breeds have different colors. I can only speak for the Mallards and I also have Rouen Hens. I am glad that some ducks are different and hope yours are Hens for you.

Back
Top Bottom