Cayuga feathers iced over

Michelin

Chirping
Feb 7, 2021
Hello, we’re new duck owners, our 4 Cayugas are 7 months old (3 hens and one drake). Today it has dipped to -20 F for the first time, and while 3 of them are fine, one of our girls (Inca) is all ice covered. I’ve read all the threads I can find on it and I still don’t know what to do. Yesterday it was -10 and sunny and they acted like it wasn’t even cold. They did seem to be picking on Inca though, ostracizing her.

I don’t know what to do. Some places say they’ll be fine, others say bring them in and warm them up till the ice falls off, others say don’t bring them in because going back outside when it’s so cold will be such a shock. Aaaahhh. Any advice? Right now she’s preening in the sun by herself while the others are over eating and drinking (before yesterday they moved as one).

Attachments

• 3EDD25BC-FA5C-4701-AAA5-6504F1FC2910.jpeg
    3EDD25BC-FA5C-4701-AAA5-6504F1FC2910.jpeg
    782.1 KB · Views: 13
And I don’t know why it’s under hatching, I can’t even figure out how to delete this post and put it in the right place!

I don’t know what to do. Some places say they’ll be fine, others say bring them in and warm them up till the ice falls off, others say don’t bring them in because going back outside when it’s so cold will be such a shock. Aaaahhh. Any advice? Right now she’s preening in the sun by herself while the others are over eating and drinking (before yesterday they moved as one).

Animals often know what they need, so her sitting in the sun might be the best thing right now.

Is it possible to set up a heat lamp for a few hours?
I mean just in their coop or even out in their run, not anywhere unfamiliar to her, and not enclosed in a small space.
That way she could have the choice of sitting somewhere warmer for a bit, but would not be forced to. And if she does want to sit and warm up, she could move away just as soon as she is warm enough, and would not get uncomfortably hot.

That’s a good idea. I used a pet heating pad in broody cave (i think that’s what it was called!) instead of a heat lamp when they were little and I could put that out there again. After she preened awhile ago I thought she was looking a bit better, but then she lay down in the snow and looks like a ghost now, it’s stuck to her even worse. My husband thinks I’m worrying too much...

Last edited:
Well, she won’t go near it. And it’s one of those that they have to sit on it to feel the warmth (I tried holding her on it but she left as soon as I let go). She seems fine, but uncomfortable. She keeps shaking her wings and her tail feathers, flapping around (looks clear under her wings!) and spending lots is time drinking and trying to preen. But some of her feathers are now bent like they’re broken, with ice chunks hanging of them.

Well, she won’t go near it. And it’s one of those that they have to sit on it to feel the warmth (I tried holding her on it but she left as soon as I let go). She seems fine, but uncomfortable. She keeps shaking her wings and her tail feathers, flapping around (looks clear under her wings!) and spending lots is time drinking and trying to preen. But some of her feathers are now bent like they’re broken, with ice chunks hanging of them.

In that case, it might be best to bring her somewhere warmer for a bit, maybe an hour or two, so she can get de-iced and put her feathers in order. And of course provide water and her usual food, so she can snack while she's working on the feathers.

If you've got a garage or basement that is above freezing but cooler than your house, I might try putting her there. Otherwise, the house might be your only option for letting her get thawed out. I don't know how late it is where you live, but I'm thinking she will probably sleep better tonight if she isn't icy.

Good idea! I turned on our garage heater since it was below freezing and brought her and a friend in, and within 30 minutes almost all the ice is gone! I turned off the heater now and will leave them awhile longer to cool off again, then put them in the coop for the night. I wonder if she just loves sponge baths so much and it was so cold it froze right away? I guess we’ll see tomorrow if it happens again.

Back
Top Bottom