Cayuga, khakis, or Rouens which are better?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Jul 12, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hi.

I'm planning on getting some new ducklings and i want a egg breed, a meat breed, and a broody breed. But i dont know what to get some people say khakis for the egg breed, Rouens for the meat breed, and Cayuga for the broody breed. but are those all good breeds?

2. chadwick757

chadwick757 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Just get some Welsh Harlequin and be done with it!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup, they're good breeds. Cayugas are my favorite.

4. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I have all three! But drakes...lol. I have a Cayuga duck and she's wonderful and sweet. Khaki Campbells are a bit skittish, but still nice. Rouen is big. I also 2nd WH, they were wonderful while I had them and they do rival KC in egg laying. My Cayuga has been rather impressive egg layer also, except she's currently taking a break recovering from a rather traumatic bumblefoot experience. [​IMG]
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:What do you mean be done with it? Are they bad or something? because im about to get 5 welsh harlequin I thought they looked better then the khakis so im getting them isted.

6. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Quote:What do you mean be done with it? Are they bad or something? because im about to get 5 welsh harlequin I thought they looked better then the khakis so im getting them isted.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe what chadwick meant was that WH are wonderful all purpose ducks. [​IMG]

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    oh ok, sorry.

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My khakis went broody and hatched babies but were awful moms. They lay well though! Haven't eaten any.
    My Cayugas have not gone broody and are only so-so layers. Too pretty to eat them!
    I didn't think my Rouens were very pretty but they are good layers and meat birds. The girls never went broody for me.

9. chadwick757

chadwick757 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe what chadwick meant was that WH are wonderful all purpose ducks. [​IMG]

Indeed!

10. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I just ordered 4 Welsh Harlequin from metzer farms, 1 boy and 3 girls. I also ordered 2 rouen girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by