Cayuga, khakis, or Rouens which are better?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
Hi.

I'm planning on getting some new ducklings and i want a egg breed, a meat breed, and a broody breed. But i dont know what to get some people say khakis for the egg breed, Rouens for the meat breed, and Cayuga for the broody breed. but are those all good breeds?

I have all three! But drakes...lol. I have a Cayuga duck and she's wonderful and sweet. Khaki Campbells are a bit skittish, but still nice. Rouen is big. I also 2nd WH, they were wonderful while I had them and they do rival KC in egg laying. My Cayuga has been rather impressive egg layer also, except she's currently taking a break recovering from a rather traumatic bumblefoot experience.
sad.png

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
smile.png

Quote:
What do you mean be done with it? Are they bad or something? because im about to get 5 welsh harlequin I thought they looked better then the khakis so im getting them isted.

Quote:
What do you mean be done with it? Are they bad or something? because im about to get 5 welsh harlequin I thought they looked better then the khakis so im getting them isted.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe what chadwick meant was that WH are wonderful all purpose ducks.
smile.png

My khakis went broody and hatched babies but were awful moms. They lay well though! Haven't eaten any.
My Cayugas have not gone broody and are only so-so layers. Too pretty to eat them!
I didn't think my Rouens were very pretty but they are good layers and meat birds. The girls never went broody for me.

Quote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe what chadwick meant was that WH are wonderful all purpose ducks.
smile.png

Indeed!

I just ordered 4 Welsh Harlequin from metzer farms, 1 boy and 3 girls. I also ordered 2 rouen girls.

Back
Top Bottom