Cayuga laying white eggs???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by streemers, Oct 13, 2009.

1. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    i have had my cayuga since birth and she has never layed an egg. yesteday she started making a nest. i was all excited and went inside for about 15min. when i came back out there was an egg in her nest but it was WHITE! i didnt see her lay it but she left the nest alone the rest of the day and i am 99% sure she layed it. i thought that they layed black eggs at first?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    cayugas can lay dark or black colored eggs, like many other dark colored ducks, but i don't think this is absolute... i know cayugas can lay lighter colored eggs too... it might just depend on her bloodlines.

3. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    I don't have ducks...yet but my friend has cayugas and they lay white eggs.

4. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    well she is suposed to have pure bloodlines but you nevr really no...got her from mcmurrey. i have been waiting for monthes to get that wonderful black or gray egg and getting a white 1 is a shock. from what i understand they are suposed to lay black or very dark eggs and they get lighter as the duck gets older. this is very odd:he

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    My Cayuga lays greenish white eggs.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My cayuga eggs are light brown - more of an off white tinted with khaki coloring,.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My cayugas lay white eggs, it's all in the bloodlines. If they are of good quality stock, they should lay black or close to it eggs, hatchery ducks just 'resemble' the breed.

8. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    It varies from individual to individual. My Cayugas are from top exhibition lines, and they vary from grayish, to bluish to white. Only the first few eggs of the year that a bird lays will be black or close to it. Some always lay white eggs.

Webfoot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by