Cayuga mixes not laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MamaRudey, Oct 10, 2012.

1. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

My Cayuga mixes are supposedly 21 weeks, they are supposed to be cayuga x khaki campbells
    The lady i got them from said they started laying already which made me question their age. We have had them for over a month, they head bob and mate with my drake but nary an egg has been layed. What is up? We have just started getting colder weather this week... they eat flock raiser and free range. No hidden nests, if I can find a single chicken egg nest in 7 acres of woods I highly doubt I wouldn't find theirs :) , besides they stick pretty close to their pool.. maybe venturing 2-3 acres to forage. What is up with my hens??

2. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

Just to clarify I guess I am just asking to make sure I didn't get some weird mix that doesn't lay. That eventually, hopefully I will see an egg from my five girls.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They may still be adjusting to the new surroundings. Also, the seller may have not been correct about them laying. None of my birds start laying before 24 weeks. With free ranging the eggs could have easily been stolen from a lurking predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by