Cayuga or runner as pet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stuborndancer, Jan 25, 2010.

1. stuborndancer

stuborndancer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    So I'm thinking of getting either a Cayuga or a chocolate runner as a pet, and I wanted some peoples opinions on which they thought would work better for my situation.

I live in a large apartment in a shared house so I do need a quieter duck. I've read that males tend to be quieter. I live in Montana a little out of the city, and my backyard is pretty much a big field/the woods(no fence). I would like an active duck who could spend his nights indoors, and be happy interacting with people, while at the same time I could let him outside, and allow him to wander around to forage to his hearts delight.

I have raised two geese before, who turned out very friendly, and healthy. I also do own a dog(mini aussie) who is really kind, and completely unaggressive. The two geese I raised use to fall asleep on him. All opinions welcome;).

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    If noise is really an issue, then get a cayuga. I'm sure both breeds will make wonderful pets. Though the runner will probably make more noise, some say they are more entertaining. I'm not too much of a fan of the runner's look...if I were you I'd get a cayuga due to their awesome plumage. It's your choice though.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I'd also avoid getting a lone male duck. While I hear they can be very friendly their first several months. I hear they turn nasty once they mature and have no other female ducks to make love with.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

It's not that a lone male duck turns nasty, it's that they want to mate with their beloved... the beloved being you. [​IMG]

I know Nettie and Joe have trained their female runners to be quieter. I think they used a squirt gun. Personally I love the runner body. They are great foragers and can be extremely friendly when raised from ducklings. I encourage you to get two instead of just one so that when you are not around, they have a friend.

5. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    That's kinda what I ment rainplace. [​IMG]
    Anyways, I would get 2 as well. I only have one lone female pekin. But that doesn't mean it's right. It's only because my parents won't let me have another duck and I'm homeschooled, meaning I can spend a lot of time with Sunny.

6. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I have a female Cayuga and she can be LOUD!!! She is a sweet loving girl, but very noisy!!! I've had a male Cayuga and they just hiss...no quacking. I've never had Runners so no help there. Have you thought about Scovies? They are quiet?

7. stuborndancer

Jan 25, 2010
    I'm not sure if getting two is really an option for me at the moment... but it might be. Anyway my thoughts had been to get a fun, loving pet as well as a companion for my pooch since he got along so well with the previous geese. If the duckling were to grow up with the dog would that serve as good enough companion for the duck not to be lonely. My dog is lonely at the moment when I'm going some place I cant take him. If I didnt have the option to get two would a male or a female be more appropriate?

btw those geese went to my uncles farm where he keeps a flock of Toulouse geese.

8. stuborndancer

Jan 25, 2010
    yeah I did think about scovies, just couldnt really get over unique look of them.

9. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I hatched a duck that loved one of my cats. I guess if you get the duck young enough it can become friends with anything.

10. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Quacks don't travel through walls very well. The only time I hear quacking when doors are closed is when one of the ducksis letting out a really loud quack. Not only do the ducks rarely quack that loud, but the sound also is very muffled through the walls. A dog that likes to bark is much more of a nuisance.

As far as teaching the ducks not to quack, we only taught the ducks not to quack loudly or constantly without a good reason. We never punish them with the spray bottle when they are just chattering, are excited, or just happy. It was mostly for quacking that did just to amuse themselves.

I also recommend getting two ducks if possible. Also, raise them as day olds or hatch your own if you want them friendly.

I prefer runners. If you want the colors of the Cayuga, you can get a black runner. They have the green sheen to them too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by