gingerviolinist

Chirping
Jun 5, 2017
I'm adding to my flock to balance out the male/female ratio. I currently have 2 pekin females and 2 cayuga males. Looking to keep things quiet since I live within city limits. Which would be quieter, cayuga or swedish blue?

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry, I don't know which is quieter. Here is a duck breed comparison chart. If you click on the breed it might have the noise levels...
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=16499891

I would add the Blue Swedish just because I like to have a variety. But if you add Cayuga, you might get pure breed ducklings. It's my understanding that Muscovy are the quietest.. but that wasn't your question. :)

But I'm not sure if adding a couple more will actually improve your ratio or just add more breeding competition. I think you can keep a couple without the female being too over mated. But I'm not sure about having more than 1 couple. Someone with more duck experience can hopefully answer that. :caf

I have Cayuga Muscovy crosses and they are so quiet you can barely hear them. I have Cayuga in the incubator because they are supposed to be quiet and I keep reading they are loud :lau
People told me geese are awfully noisy but mine aren't at all so maybe I will get lucky :D

my Swedish hens are very loud (not sure about the males as i have none) but most of they time they just make as much noise as they can during treat time.

Back
Top Bottom