cayuga or Swedish?

Bird maniac

Chirping
Oct 11, 2016
Olympia, WA
hi all,
I have been trying to decide which species of ducks to get, (I am planning to get four ducks 1 male 3 females). this is my first time trying out ducks (though I do have chickens, pigeons, and quail). I don't really want to have to put a top on the run so if one of these breeds fly I'd rather have the other one. also I really need a well tempered breed, along with that the quieter the better (my neighbors can not handle noise:barnie)
I don't really care about egg or meat production.
I have been looking into cayuga and Swedish.

Dpyskaty325

Chirping
May 14, 2018
Buffalo NY
If you are looking for no flight I would go with a really heavy breed like Campbell khaki or Pekin, I have a khaki but she has not gone one day without laying an egg in a year. They are sticky too :sick

Jpat

Life’s a garden: dig it.
Apr 30, 2018
Nova scotia
If you are looking for no flight I would go with a really heavy breed like Campbell khaki or Pekin, I have a khaki but she has not gone one day without laying an egg in a year. They are sticky too :sick
My kahki could fly to the moon. Yours lays 365 eggs a year? sticky ones?

DuckyDonna

Crossing the Road
Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Georgia
I know I'm partial but what about Indian Runners? They are so much fun to watch, they can't fly but they do lay eggs but they won't want to sit on them most likely. The eggs are awesome but you can always give them to dogs or neighbors if you don't want them! Actually you could scramble them up and give them to the ducks as a treat. They love them!

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
all ducks are very vocal birds, So you might want to reconsider getting into ducks if you think your neighbors will be a problem. If you want a more quite bird that looks like a duck I would suggest getting some muscovies. Instead of quacking they make chirping/whistle noises, Much quieter than duck, Although muscovies are very good at flying, so you would have to keep their wings clipped..
If you're still set on ducks then the varieties I would suggest getting would have to be either a Welsh Harlequin, Pekin, Buff, or Indian runners, All are very docile birds and amazing egg layers.

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
I have 4 Swedish, 1 drake and 3 hens. They are gentle and good layers. They definitely cannot fly due to their large size. Even the smallest is quite a bit heavier than my largest chicken. The only way I'd see them escaping a 3ft. fence is if they were really spooked and could climb onto something (or each other) for a boost. When I first brought mine home they were in a temp. enclosure and my dog scared them and they all piled in the corner an one or two managed to get over a 2ft. fence, but even that was a challenge. I would not call them quiet. They don't chatter all day, but they do sound the alarm when things excite them. Anytime someone pulls in our driveway they start honking, same deal if a stranger (person or neighbor dog) gets close to their pen. They also raise a ruckus if their food is empty or a rodent gets in their pen.

By comparison, my khaki campbells are smaller and flightier/more nervous, and could easily fly a few feet over a fence or across the ground.

a.graham52

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2018
i have 6 ducks, 3 cayugas and 3 anconas, none of them can fly more then 5 ft at the most and on average pretty quiet. if they get excited or somone/something comes around they start makinga ruckus but overall could be MUCH worse. my cayugas have turned green and are wicked pretty in the sun.

Top Bottom