Cayuga/Pekin cross

Musolff2015

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Hey! I'm a new duck owner. My wonderful husband signed up to win ducklings assuming hed never win and SUPRISE we now have 4 new very spoiled family members!!!

I'm looking for pictures of cayuga/pekin cross ducks! I was 90% sure 2 of my little ones were black swedish, I then started getting very worried that they were boys until I saw that their wings are getting some purple/blue in them! I'm still holding onto hope that I have females and 1 drake at most.

Also all 4 have this song bird type voice, none have a "quack" and none seem to be necessarily raspy either. They are about 5-6 weeks (estimate as the guy said he thought they were about 2 weeks when I got them)

I'll try to attach a couple pictures although you cant see the purple feathers well due to lighting, I was able to catch the green at just the right time

Attachments

• 20190824_155821.jpg
    20190824_155821.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190821_191614.jpg
    20190821_191614.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190829_150814.jpg
    20190829_150814.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 27

Mandrogora

Songster
Jun 28, 2018
NW Montana
My black swedish male has green/purple/blue throughout his feathers. The way you described their voices, it sounds like they are all males. My current batch of ducklings are almost 8 weeks old and the females have been quacking for a few weeks now. The boys are still peeping and making whistling noises. Their voices are getting somewhat more monotone but aren't raspy yet.

Jpat

Life’s a garden: dig it.
Apr 30, 2018
Nova scotia
So, My first ducks were 6 males. The farmer sexed them then tricked me into buying them...

What iam saying is whoever donated them couldve used it as a way to get rid of 6 males. But give them a little more time, it will be very obvious soon, it could still go either way!

if your not interested in eggs you still could have some awesome pets

Musolff2015

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
So, My first ducks were 6 males. The farmer sexed them then tricked me into buying them...

What iam saying is whoever donated them couldve used it as a way to get rid of 6 males. But give them a little more time, it will be very obvious soon, it could still go either way!

if your not interested in eggs you still could have some awesome pets

I would completely agree with you however there was somewhere around 100 ducks being given away and they had no clue of the genders. They were even sure of the breeds on the black because they were from a separate farm. But yes I am nervous I have all boys. I will love them regaurdless but but we are in city limits so i cant go getting a female ratio lol

Jpat

Life’s a garden: dig it.
Apr 30, 2018
Nova scotia
I would completely agree with you however there was somewhere around 100 ducks being given away and they had no clue of the genders. They were even sure of the breeds on the black because they were from a separate farm. But yes I am nervous I have all boys. I will love them regaurdless but but we are in city limits so i cant go getting a female ratio lol

Ohyeah if they were all males youd need about 16 females. Thatd be awesome but the neighbors would flip out! haha

Well keep updating on them, if they do make a more certain sound, see if you can record it and let some folks on here hear it

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
They look to be about the age when you should be able to voice sex them. Young males almost sound as if they just aren't outgrowing their baby voice. Females get loud and if you have have one it becomes very obvious at around 6 weeks old. There are some good voice sexing videos on youtube. Just turn up your volume on the computer, you can't mistake the girls.

Musolff2015

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Ohyeah if they were all males youd need about 16 females. Thatd be awesome but the neighbors would flip out! haha

Well keep updating on them, if they do make a more certain sound, see if you can record it and let some folks on here hear it

I'm sure they would! And my husband may drop dead! He thought there was no way he would win these guys and was not impressed when I asked for 2 more haha. I'm going to upload a video in another thread

Top Bottom