1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Cayuga/ pekin xs green ducklings??!!!!! no joke

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nightshade, May 6, 2008.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

okay if I didn't hatch them myself I never would have believed it, but I have 2 green ducklings.. And no I did not dye them lol. I have three ducklings of this cross. The rest were killed by a rabbit that needless to say we no longer have.

Anyways out of the ones I have left one is black and the other two were hatched olive green with black bills and black feet. At first I could not believe my eyes but sure enough there they were. I of course figured that they would quickly grow out of it. They are now three weeks old and much to my surprise they are now not olive green but bright grass green! When I crossed them I thought maybe I would get some all black ones, probably some white and black spotted ones and possibly a very few that were gray but I never ever imagioned green. I can't wait to see if they stay some shade of green or not. If I can figure out how to post pics I willon here I will of them. I know I am gonna take some tomorrow night when DH gets home from work. I will deffently put them on my myspace so if I can't figure out how to get them on here they will be on there.

Any ideas on how I got green ducklings? Could it be because of the green hue the adult cayugas get? What do you all think, could they possible stay this color?

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I have no idea how they ended up green but I think Pics are needed here....yes definalty Pics.... [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry! No ideas here, but I think this calls for some pictures please! [​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Pics!! Pics!!! We NEED pics!!!! [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Photobucket is free and SUPER easy to use! We REALLY must see these green duckies [​IMG]

6. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    MUST HAVE PICS!!!!!! Gotta see this! You are torturing all of us! Do the right thing, post pics!
    [​IMG]

7. nightshade

OKay I will get the pics I was gonna get them today but it rained [​IMG] I will get some in the sun tomorrow. I will try the photo bucket thing. How do I get them from there to here then?

8. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Use tinypic.com all you have to do is click 'upload photos' then click 'browse' then when you have picked the picture you want click 'ok' or 'select' then it will show a few links. the one labled 'forums and message boards' is the one you want to copy and paste onto your message on here.

9. TitiBebbs

TitiBebbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Quote:Okay! The green duckling are amazing . . . still looking for pics (rookie picture poster too) BUT killed by a RABBIT as in hoppy little cute little tasty little bunny rabbit? HOW???

I am really asking because today when ds and I got home the 2nd of our ducklings was mysteriously dead. The first must have gotten squished by momma, but this one . . . ? ? ? We are OVERRUN by rabbits here and I'm just wondering - a RABBIT?

REALLY?

10. nightshade

yup a cute little bunny rabbit. our son put a white rabbit in our hen house, which it is really big place so I didn't think one rabbit would be a problem. Anyways if you have a weak stomick don't read any further.... If we had not caught him dragging the ducklings out of the duck house as they were hatching, we never would have known what had done it. We found 5 in all most of them still a live when we found them. All with their bills and feet chewed off. It was really sad and sick. They of course all died. But yet we had another rabbit, a black rabbit in the hen house and had no problems.

The duck killer we had seen days earlier chasing hens around and we had been finding feathers laying around ever since we had put him in there. But we had chalked the feathers up to when you have that many chickens you are bound to see feathers now and then. Call it a horrible lession learned. I just put duck eggs in the bator tonight with about 36 chicken eggs of various breeds. Our pekin wont set on any now so I guess I will have to try to hatch them in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by