cayuga question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by juliachick, May 2, 2009.

1. juliachick

juliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    (Northeastern PA)
    Hi there, I went to the feedstore today and of course came home w/a new duck addition (we have 2 pekin babies) and two new bantie chick babies. The new duck is a cayuga. It is so much smaller than my pekins. I don't know exactly how old the pekins are but am wondering how much different to expect the sizes to be between them. ALso, don't know if my cayuga is a male or female yet and am wondering how I will ever tell? The pekins are suppose to be sexed as females. If the cayuga turned out to be a drake and they mated what color would the babies be? I tried figuring it out w/ a book I have but am confused???? Anyone have experience w/any of this? Most importantly I am wondering what the tempermant of this little one will be????

Jen

2. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I would try putting them together and see what happens if the pekins dont tower the cayuga. Cayuga X Pekin would be a black and white pied looking duck. You wolnt be able to tell weither its a male or female until it gets older.

3. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    I just got my first 3 Cayuga ducklings. I think I have 2 females and 1 male...but won't know until they are older. Mine are about 3-4 weeks old.

I researched the breeds fairly well before deciding on the Cayuga. I wanted ducks that would be calm and less likely to quack all the time. You will be able to tell the difference when they are older. Your Pekin will be much louder...I've read in lots of places that the Pekin ducks are more vocally active.

4. juliachick

juliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    (Northeastern PA)
    Thanks so much... the cayuga is really a pretty little duck. The pekins are a 4 H project and they didn't give a choice. I was told they are good protectors at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by