Cayuga vs Black Runner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Espresso, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Espresso

Espresso Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Starbucks
    I can jump in on a hatchery order with someone local. I am planning to grab a single black duckling for my son as a gift. He loves ducks and Star Wars so it will be "Duck Vader."

Which breed would be best? We will also be raising Anconas. I won't be allowing cross breeding... so will probably purchase a little girl.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    so, the duck won't be alone right?? They are flock animals and need another duck to keep them company.

lol, duck vader is cute.

I would go with a cayuga as a pet. They are friendly and usually calm, especially if you spend a lot of time with them when they are babies. Runners are not very friendly and pretty flighty. I love mine, and they are good in the garden being light weight and everything, but they really don't like humans that much, totally are not pet duck material.

Oh, and be warned, cayuga ducks won't always be black...as they get older, they slowly start getting white feathers. I think it really pretty :) It takes a long time for them to get mostly white though :)

Good luck!!

3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Runners are more social,mines don't like because I have to chase them.
    Ducks/ducklings do totally fine alone.Only chickens may have this problem,and it's usually as chicks.

I love the name Duck Vader!

Welcome To BYC!

ThePRfan

4. Espresso

Espresso Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Starbucks
    He (she) won't be alone. He'll have a whole flock of Anconas to hang with.

5. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    good :) she'll be happy then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by