Cayuga X Pekin for meaties?

Lute

Songster
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I searched and either my google-fu is terrible or no one else has asked. How would a Cayuga Pekin cross be for eating?

I currently raise Standard Pekins (so delicious) and picked up two Cayuga Ducklings so it'll be a while before they're old enough to produce offspring.

All ducks are edible.

When you cross breed, there is no telling what you will get, and one duckling is likely to differ from the next. All you can do is to try it and see how it works for you.

I've raised and eaten Swedish, which are roughly the same size and growth rate as Cayugas. I've also raised and eaten Pekin. I haven't crossed them.

The Pekin are very fast growing and have great feed conversion. They make a very attractive, large, dressed duck.

The Swedish grow slower and have a less efficient feed conversion. I like the Swedish better on the table. They are leaner and have thinner skin with less fat attached to the skin. They make a small and rather expensive duck on the table because they eat so much to get there.

Who knows. Maybe you will have good luck and get a large efficient duck with thinner skin, less fat, and good feed conversion. But you might get the flip side: a small duck that is really fast growing and made up of all fat. Genes combine how they combine. You don't get to pick and choose.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you. At least, you should get attractive looking ducks.,

I know all ducks are edible. Some are just better eatin' than others. I'll give it a try when these babies grow up (they're two weeks old) and let you guys know.

Back
Top Bottom