1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cayuga's first eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Glenda Sue, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Glenda Sue

Glenda Sue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    East Texas
    I think one of my cayuga ducks layer two eggs but they are white. This is thier first season as mature ducks. The eggs are outside instead of in the coop so I'm wondering if they belong to my ducks at all. Would a duck mess with another birds nest? I saw her go into the nest and move some twigs around. I want to put them in the coop if they are hers. Should I try them in the coop or wait to see if the ducks did lay them?

2. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    Do you have a drake? Are they bigger eggs then your chickens? My cayuga share the same nest when they lay their eggs.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    My Cayuga lays green/grey eggs. While a Cayuga can lay white eggs usually they are darker at the start of laying and get lighter as time passes. Who does she share a coop/pen with? My Cayuga lays the size of a large chicken egg.

4. Glenda Sue

Jul 20, 2014
    East Texas
    I only have two males and two females. All cayuga. The pond is open to any bird who can fly in though.

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Well it sounds like one or both laid an egg. If you got 2 eggs in a day I would say both are laying. Ducks usually lay eggs wherever and need to be encouraged to lay in a house. What are your plans for eggs? I would let her lay for a bit before seeing if she will go broody and she may sit or she may not. Just because they lay eggs doesn't mean they want to hatch anything.

6. Glenda Sue

Jul 20, 2014
    East Texas
    [​IMG]
    HToday I found two more eggs, but they were not in the nest. They were out in the dirt. I felt bad so I put them in the nest with the other two. I saw one duck, Spot is her name because she has a small spot on her back of white feathers, roll the eggs over in the nest and sit on them before I found the other two. How do I move the eggs to the duck coop and get her to sit on them in there? I know why she picked that spot. She put her nest in the sun. And why are her eggs white. I thought her first eggs would be darker. I'm worried because her nest is so close to the fence and we have raccoons all over the place.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by