CBDs from hemp?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NashvilleLuLu, Jan 16, 2019.

1. NashvilleLuLu

NashvilleLuLu In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2018
    Has anyone tried using CBDs from hemp to calm down a hen? We are in the process of introducing a new hen and a rooster to our surviving two ladies. VaNina is totally fine and accepting of the newcomers; Dolly is not. I'd like to try CBDs to relax Dolly just a bit. We use it on our dogs.

We have had them separated, but close for five days in a long chicken tractor system we've created. We had to move the tractor due to impending weather. That meant everyone had to be out together. Dolly (who is 10 months old) and Loretta the new comer (who is approximately 14 months old) got into a blood drawing fight. Dolly is the instigator, but got her arse kicked. Based on the fight, we will continue to keep them separated for at least another week or until they are civil to each other through the wire.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - - -- - - - - -

Backstory on "the survivors": We have/had a hawk that picked off our small flock of four chickens and one rooster. We have now strung fishing line with reflective streamers. So far, so good. Our dogs are out with them most of the time, too. But the chickens free range and our schedules do not always permit us to leave the dogs out.

First Aid for Dolly's comb: Betadyne solution, Neosporin, and topical application of CBD oil.

[email protected] likes this.
  2. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I wouldn’t. Heck that stuffs expensive. I’m not sure what it would do to a chicken it’s too new to have any studies done on the effects long term or short term for people or chickens.
    I’d hate to find out the hard way that it would be bad for them.

Notaneggspurt and Eggcessive like this.
  3. NashvilleLuLu

Oct 15, 2018
    The dose of CBDs for a chicken would probably require only a few cents worth, so it would not be expensive. We add the by-product of processed hemp to their feed as do several cattle ranchers we know. But the extracted oil is a different and that is why I'm asking for feedback from anyone who may have orally administered the oil to a chicken. That being said, I just realized she may get some relaxation benefit from the topical application! I just cleaned her up before I posted this. I will report any findings.

Nardo and [email protected] like this.
  4. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    You grow hemp?

5. NashvilleLuLu

Oct 15, 2018
    I'm a distributor and work with hemp farmers and extracters.

6. The Farmers' Daughter

The Farmers' Daughter Crossing the Road

Aug 2, 2017
    Darwell Alberta
    Do you use hemp hurd for bedding in your coop? Do you like it? I'm toying with becoming a distributor for my region of Canada as I really like the idea, but have not actually tried it myself yet.

Ribh likes this.
  7. The Farmers' Daughter

The Farmers' Daughter Crossing the Road

Aug 2, 2017
    Darwell Alberta
    Ps...
    Would a single drop of rescue remedy work? Or do you think it would be too potent?

8. Ribh

Ribh Songster

I really like hemp bedding. I use it in my coop & nesting boxes & really need very little for it to be effective. It really reduces smells & absorbs moisture.

9. NashvilleLuLu

Oct 15, 2018
    I do not use Hemp Hurd.

10. NashvilleLuLu

Oct 15, 2018
    I don't know. I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried it though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: