CC's Big List of Coturnix Quail Studies

CoturnixComplex

Crowing
Nov 16, 2018
Disclaimer: there are so so many of these. If you're interested in working with a specific gene, please google it along with "research" or "study" and chances are you will find way more information. If you find something great I missed, please post it!

Let me know if any links go down and if I'm around I'll try to find a new one. These might not all be free but there's usually something of value in the abstract if I posted it.

I am also currently only listing things I have personally gone over. If I read more I will probably come back and add them. I have half a dozen on the list just from putting this together.

You will still find conflicting information even between these studies, which stems partly from the constant re-assigning of gene representations. A few older studies I felt had *too* many conflicts with others to reliably refer to.

Eggshell Color

Quantification of Japanese Quail Eggshell Color by Image Analysis

Red Eggshell Color: A Dominant Mutation in Japanese Quail

Celadon: An Eggshell Color Mutation in Japanese Quail

Feather Color and Type

Genetic Basis for Plumage Color Patterns in Four Varieties of Japanese Quail (Recessive white, red/british range, tuxedo, Manchurian golden)

Two New Plumage Mutations in the Japanese Quail: Curly and Rusty

Dotted White a Plumage Color Mutation in Japanese Quail

The "Silver" Japanese Quail and the MTIF Gene

Cinnamon: A Mutant of Japanese Quail

Recessive Black is Allelic to the Yellow Plumage Locus

Testing Homology of Loci for Two Plumage Colors, “lavender” and “recessive white,” With Chicken and Japanese Quail Hybrids

The Lavender Plumage Color... [and]...differences in growth, feed consumption, and body temperature

Effects of Two-Locus Combinations Using the Roux, Lavender, and Beige Mutations

Inbreeding, Growth Rates, etc

Genetic Studies with Japanese Quail (inbreeding depression)

Effects of Recessive White Color Plumage Mutation on Hatchability and Growth

Genetic Parameter Estimates of Growth Curve and Reproductive Traits in Japanese Quail

Comparison of fattening performance, carcass characteristics, and egg quality characteristics of Japanese quails with different feather colors

Master Summaries of >1 of the Above

Mutations of Japanese Quail, and Recent Advances of Molecular Genetics for this Species

As you can tell if you start to get into any of these there are more things we don't understand than we do. Some crowd-sourced effort in determining inheritance and effect of some of these genes is definitely in order and probably worth another thread I will start later unless someone else does.

Back
Top Bottom