CD Reflective Mobile

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hughmac312, Jul 30, 2010.

1. hughmac312

hughmac312 Out Of The Brooder

I don't remember ever noticing so many predatory birds.

I look now and see hawks everywhere.

Jen's and my most recent reflective deterrent has been to make mobiles.

Using thin bamboo plant supports, we drilled holes to thread ss wire, we then put holes
    in scrap CDs and made a mobile. WE also used fishing tackle swivels so they all move independently
    of each other. It makes for quite a light show and we keep crossing our fingers it
    deters the birds of prey.

Hugh and Jen

2. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I have seen this in a couple of chicken yards. I would like to know if anyone has seen any solid results using them.

3. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I took some kevlar fishing line and tied it between 2 CDs. I then tossed them up into the trees. We'll be in the house and we'll see flashes from them quite regularly. We understand what it is but it is distracting. I'd expect animals to be distracted to an even greater degree.

4. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I dont know who said CDs worked for them but they DONT work for me. Hawks have lost fear of humans, particularly in residential areas. I've had them grab babies right out from a bush that had 5 CDs hanging on it. Maybe it was a cloudy day but I think its giving people a false sense of security.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I tried the CD route, tied them in bunches of two together with string and tossed them up to hang up in the trees. Worked-----for a week or two, then the predators get used to them and resume activities. Live trapping has been the only thing that lasts, and you have to keep the trap baited as old predators get removed, new ones migrate in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by