Cecal worms=tape worms?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HenHoneyGirl, May 6, 2016.

1. HenHoneyGirl

HenHoneyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Arizona
    Couple weeks back I found a couple poops from my teenager flock that had tape worms. I've been doing research trying to find the best avenue to treat this while supplementing ACV. Anyway I've had a really hard time trying to find something that's treats tapeworms but after reading more articles and posts it's finally dawned on me that cecal worms might actually refer to tape worms(geeze! If that's so why didn't they just say that?) so if something says "treats cecal worms" does that mean it will work on tapeworms?

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

No, cecal worms and tapeworms are very different entities. Tapeworms are quite bad for the flock while cecal worms generally don't harm birds they inhabit. I had a bad infestation of tapeworms a few years back. My avian vet recommended Fenbendazole (easily available at farm stores in the form of equine working paste, brand name SafeGuard). It was about one pea sized amount of paste per standard bird, or half a pea size amount for banties. Killed the worms dead after two treatments ten days apart and haven't had a problem since.

3. HenHoneyGirl

May 26, 2015
    Arizona
    Ok.(geeze this is all so confusing.) is there anything that comes in a liquid form that has that? I've tried paste before with an adult bird that had worms and it didn't work out so well. I highly doubt it would work for my teens either plus there's about 30 plus of them in the same pen. Something for the water would just be so much easier and garuntee they all got atleast a little bit of it.

4. QueenMisha

I've heard there's a liquid form but I've never worked with it so can't comment on the dosage or effectiveness.

Fenbendazole is 100% safe and effective for use in poultry against many types of parasites. Are you sure you used Fenbendazole and not something like Ivermectin? (which can present dangers to poultry).

5. HenHoneyGirl

May 26, 2015
    Arizona
    It's was pancur horse wormer I believe I just couldn't get her to eat it no matter what I tried I can't imagine trying to do that with 30 of them. I don't have the time nor the patience liquid would just be so much easier.

6. HenHoneyGirl

May 26, 2015
    Arizona
    Oh wonderful I just read something now that the "zoles" like Fenbendazole are good for everything but tapeworms. UGHH I'm sorry, I'm just so confused by all of this. I think I'm just gonna get some Verm-x which is supposed to help prevent worms, cull the really thin ones and hope for the best. I don't know what else to do everything seems to contradict it's self and I feel like a horrible chicken mama for not understanding it. Thank you for your time.

7. QueenMisha

It's not something you offer them to eat. You will need to force feed the paste to each bird by opening their mouths and pushing it to the back of the throat with your finger. Trust me, it's not an easy job and I'm well aware of it - I had over 100 birds when I had my infestation, and holding each one (including 40 pound tom turkeys) down and syringing them medication is the opposite of easy. But it is the best method.

I don't know who was giving you that information but it is incorrect. Fenbendazole and others of the class like Valbazen (and Praziquantel) are really the only wormers which will treat tapeworms.

Verm-X may help reduce populations of worms but will not treat them. Tapeworms are not a problem that will simply go away. You need to treat them or cull ALL birds. If you intend on eating or selling eggs you need to treat as the worms can show up inside the eggs as well. Your flock simply will not be of good health unless the issue is fixed.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  9. QueenMisha

I believe my vet said 2-3 weeks.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by