Cecily *A Civil War Story*

Discussion in 'Games, Jokes, and Fun!' started by Blonde, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Blonde

Blonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Narnia
    This is story about the Civil War....

Dedicated to Cecily Kohler for whom this story is named after.

A story of how the Civil War could change a naive, silly, arrogant little girl, into a strong young woman.

Chapter One

Cecily rushed up the stairs, Not too fast, she reminded her self. For mother wants me to be a lady. Her lacy pink dress fell in waves down to her slippered feet that padded softly on the polished steps.
"Hazel!" She called, a little furious at the maid not being in her room already, for she had to go to class and if she was late the schoolmaster would make her do extra French, and she hated French. “Coming missus” Hazel came bustling along and opened the door to her room for her. Cecily swooshed in with an arrogant air and sat down at her vanity. The velvet chair was a little bumpy for her haunches so she switched positions and snapped: "Hurry up, Hazel and get my hair done. I want some peonies pinned in the bun and satin ribbon, too.” yes, Ma'am." Hazel obediently brushed Cecily's long, dark hair to shining perfection then braiding it and twisting it round her head she stuffed some pins in her mouth and took them out when she needed them.

In ten minutes Cecily's hair was beautiful and she herself felt like a queen as she put on some fake pearl earrings. 
"You look right pretty, ma'am." Hazel wistfully looked at her handsome mistress.
"Good." Cecily sniffed, "Now, should I stay in my pink dress or put on my red one?"
"Whatever one you feel best in, my lady, you look dashin' in both."
"I shall keep on this pink one then."
She motioned over her long pink skirt which was a dazzling array of lace, ribbons, bows and other such things one might want on a dress.
Cecily gathered up her books in a satchel and went through the hall, down the stairs and out the door into the crisp autumn morning. How I love this time of year! She breathed the delicious wood-smoke through her nose, I love the caramel apples, toasty fires and the wind on my face.

If only school were out, it would be better than ever. For then I could curl up with a book by the fire place and watch all the youngsters go out and play in the blustery afternoons.
She snapped out of her reverie by hearing a loud amount of crashing and yelling boys, she snapped her head in the direction she heard it and screamed! Three thundering horses were coming straight at her, her heart caught in her throat and her feet were rooted to the ground. Their blowing nostrils were red and their sides were foaming, she saw their wild eyes rolling with fright! 
A body knocked into hers and sent her sprawling in the leaves next to someone else, panting. The horses galloped by, their thundering hooves would have smashed her, she realized. Inches from death, as some call it.
"Are you ok, Miss?"
She was still in a haze, but she recognized the voice enough to realize it was male. 

"I-I-believe so," She gasped for breath. "Just a little whoozy."
The boy stood up and grasped her hand firmly to help her up, she stood up with leaves sticking to her. She immediately started brushing herself off. then forgetting that she turned to the one who saved her life. It was a tall, roguish sort of fellow with ruddy cheeks and laughing eyes. Her cheeks burned. 
"Sure your alright?" He asked, his brown eyes a little concerned.
"Y-yes, I'm fine." Cecily tried smiling but instead her eyes filled with tears. "Did I-I almost die?"
His face went solemn, "Yes, Miss. I'm 'fraid you almost did." He hesitated, "Franklins' horses spooked and I was watching the whole thing a ways away, I don't like how he handles his animals," The boys face went dark, "He was goofing around and they tore away from him and ran off, I saw you standing there, so helpless...Pa always told me that men protect ladies, and I figgered one way or another, my pa was right."
"Why, th-thank you." She stammered, she was going to say more but some young gentlemen of the upper class were laughing at them.
"You making lady-friends there, Vincent?" 
Cecily turned and saw twenty feet away three young men, one of them was John Turner!

She and her friends thought him extremely handsome. Cecily almost died of embarrassment when she realized that the boy who saved her life was the son of a barrel maker. She recognized him from when her and her friends went parading through the streets.
She turned to Vincent, "I-I must go,"
"Yes, you better." Vincent went grim as he walked away from the laughing young men and the young lady who seemed embarrassed.

2. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. Blonde

Aug 12, 2011
    Narnia
    Quote:Glad you liked it!!! Who wants more??

4. Blonde

Aug 12, 2011
    Narnia
    Here's chapter two!!!!!!!

Chapter Two

When Cecily finally arrived in the schoolyard she was out of breath and ten minutes late. Galloping up the stairs to the school she burst through the heavy iron doors and announced in her shrill voice, “I’m here!” As she looked around the room her face turned raspberry red.
    “Miss Cecily Kohler please come to the front of the room.” Cecily flinched at the cold, hard words that spouted from her teacher’s mouth. Timidly she walked to the desk. Cecily watched in horror as Miss. Cunningham daintily picked up a two-inch thick pad of paper and dropped into Cecily’s arms. Cecily stood there stunned a little bit and then turned to walk away when Miss Cunningham stated, “and Cecily. Please close your mouth. You look like a cod fish.” Her eyes blazed in anger at the harsh words as she slid into her desk next to her best friend Vivian Mentze. While the teacher was writing down multiple words in French, Vivian turned to Cecily and whispered,
    “Are you all right?”
    “Yes, quite all right-“
    “There shall be no talking in class!” Miss Cunningham said as she whirled around and struck Cecily across the knuckles with a ruler.
    “OUCH!” Cecily screamed. Miss Cunningham looked quite content with the reaction and percided to finish her writing on the board.
    For the next four hours the whole class was made to write, sing, and recite words in French. After that class was done it was time for Vivian and Cecily to go to their “Lady” lessons. “You know I absolutely despise Miss Cunningham’s class! Absolutely loathe it!” Cecily Stated.
    “Shhhh!” Vivian warned as they passed by two older girls. When they were out of ear shot Cecily continued,
    “I do not get why she has to be so cruel! It’s not my fault I was late!” Cecily stubbornly crossed her arms across her chest and pouted. Vivian rolled her eyes and laughed silently…

“Hurry Cecily or we’ll be late for our lesson!” Vivian called as she grabbed her friends hand and pulled her the last few blocks to Miss Rose’s house… Before they entered the light pink house they both straightened their skirts and regained their posture. Then, Cecily knocked lightly on the door. A tall pretty woman with light blonde hair opened the door. She smiled sweetly,
    “Good afternoon, Cecily, Vivian.” She nodded and the girls curtsied, “Please come in.” she motioned them to a crisp white parlor where two other girls sat on a light green coach.
    “Good afternoon, Betsy, Elizabeth.” Vivian greeted to the twins. The twins stood up and curtsied and then they all followed Miss Rose into the kitchen to start their lessons.

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Commenting....Commenting, commenting..does that satisfy you, Ivory?

6. Blonde

Aug 12, 2011
    Narnia
    Quote:You knew what i meant... LOL! Thanks though you worte it too OLIVIA!

7. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal

Hey, quiet over there!

8. Blonde

Aug 12, 2011
    Narnia

Hey, quiet over there!

Soory (LOL) Should i add chapter three?

9. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Yeah...me not know. [​IMG]

10. Blonde

Aug 12, 2011
    Narnia
    Chapter Three

Cecily, Vivian, and the two quiet twins followed Miss Rose into the kitchen. Miss Rose had a very high voice and a sharp nose. Every time she said an 'i' it was high pitched and obnoxious.
Cecily noticed the expensive red rug that they trod on silently, the baseboard was exquisite with an ornamental design and even the wallpaper was costly. It was a mild yellow striped with white and red, vibrant roses painted in between lines. 
The doorways were high and stately, most doors were closed but a few happened to be open and Cecily peeked into each one that was. She gasped and gaped at the velveteen furniture, silk curtains, and even a chandelier! 
Upon entering the bright kitchen Miss Rose motioned for them to sit down on the oaken chairs, the seat cover, Cecily duly noted, were a moss green and soft as satin.
At the table was yet another girl about their age. Her hair was very light like her mothers' (miss Rose) and her green, mischievous eyes greeted the girls silently.

I'd like to know this girl, Cecily smiled back at her.
After they were all seated Miss Rose began, "Young ladies, I am your teacher, Miss Rose Dunaway." She paused, as if expecting applauding. Frowning a little she went on, "Your last teacher has retired, so I am taking over, my daughter Clair (she nodded at the pretty blonde girl) is joining this year and will help all the rest of you along. Now, manners are what people judge a young lady by, so I am here to help develop your aristocratic taste and to be skillful at many of the arts. This first lesson today we are going to introduce ourselves first, Clair you may start."
Clair cleared her throat and answered, "Yes, mother. I am Miss Clair Rose, Miss Rose is my mother."
Cecily's heart skipped a beat; this was going to be a little scary in front of all these girls! "I-I am," She faltered for a second, "I am Miss Cecily Scottenburg."
Vivian squeezed Cecily's hand and looked straight at Miss Rose, "I am Miss Vivian Mentze."
Betsy's turn was next and she paled. "I am Miss Betsalina Riveter."
Elizabeth smiled confidently, "I'm Miss Elizabeth Riveter, I am Betsy's sister."
Miss Rose's lips twisted into some sort of smile, "Thank you girls, now we are going to practice our penmanship. A young lady's penmanship is extremely vital. I shall teach you a writing style that is very popular now among the aristocrats."
For the next half hour they practiced penmanship, poor Cecily blotted her ink several times and Vivian belched, then all the girls started giggling uncontrollably.
Miss Rose was infuriated.

All the girls had to do an extra fifteen minutes of writing before tea. She snapped and hissed, barked and fussed till all the girls table manners were near perfection. I can't even have tea here in peace, Cecily thought angrily as she spilled jam on the tablecloth.
After tea they did twenty minutes of singing, all the girls had to open their mouths wide and pronounce their words excruciatingly long and loud. It was very embarrassing. 
Soon Miss Rose taught them how to sing a duet and, fumbling along all of them managed to sing something. 
Then it was time to go. Miss Rose told them all sharply to practice penmanship and singing, then without meaning it, she told them she cannot wait till tomorrow to see them.
When Cecily and Vivian were out the door, Cecily let out an exasperated sigh. "If that's what being a lady is, I'll pass out!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by