Cedar bark groundcover - safe for chickens outside of coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by California Girls, Jan 24, 2010.

1. California Girls

California Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Southern California
    Okay, I need some help please. My husband bought cedar groungdcover for some areas in our yard. Is it bad for our 6 month old chickens who will be in contact with it?
    Thanks for your responses.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Cedar is fine in the yard or run, where the fumes from the oils have a chance to dissipate. It is only in an enclosed area, where the fumes will be contained, that it becomes a problem. I use cedar chips (and others) in my run.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, no problem at all outdoors, quite safe, have fun [​IMG]

(Actually quite a lot of people use cedar bedding indoors without any discernible problem, including large commercial operations that would surely KNOW if they had any problem from it -- but I expect it depends a lot on the freshness of the shavings and the amount of ventilation/fresh air you've got, indoors.)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I agree with Pat. I think that I would jump at a chance to get free cedar chips, primarily because I have a lot of good permanent ventilation overhead in my coop. I think it would cause trouble in a small coop. In a run outside, no problem at all.

5. California Girls

California Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh, thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by