Cedar Creek Chooks

MTKitty

Crowing
Aug 14, 2021
MT
Another obstacle in their young lives firmly in the “adapt and overcome” category. First snow of the season was two days of being cooped-up (pun intended). In spite of open doors, everyone was quite content to wait until the storm ended and CareMonkey made the cold white stuff go away.

From my perspective, I shoveled their favorite loafing areas down to a few dirt spots and let today’s sun do its thing. It is a muddy mess, but our summer was so dry the moisture won’t be around long.

My little fiends enjoyed some fresh air and pecking at my boots with every visit.

0E32CD65-8083-4C4F-90BB-E0556B9FCD92.jpeg

From early observations, it looks like my 2:15 ratio is now 3:14. But two of the rooster-y looking half-growns don’t act overtly male. I’m pretty sure one of those is roo. The other, I hope is just a hen with a bit larger comb than the other girls.

The 98% sure male has blue-green tail feathers, a larger comb, and the watchful behavior I expect. The 70% sure male has a hint of color in his tail and a slighter larger comb than the females. The 50% bird only has a comb that’s a bit larger.

The next few weeks should reveal all.

This morning, I removed the gravity waterer from the coop. Overnight low was 30*. Water in the bell was fine, but the trough was frozen.

The water bucket in the corner was fine. Not even a skin of ice at the edges. Looks like winter water will come from buckets.

Will you keep all the boys?
It depends on how they are with the girls.

I originally ordered a 2:14 mix (hatchery threw in one extra pullet) based on research that said rooster to hen ratio was best at 6-10 hens per rooster. I selected based on that recommendation and minimum order size, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

If any of the boys start acting like asses, I’ll get my first experience in butchering from beginning to end.

Keep this thought in the back of your mind if you have flock troubles: Solve for peace in your flock.

If a cockerel has to go, he has to go, one way or another. I learned that my first year. It was not easy, but the difference was immediate and huge.

Back
Top Bottom