Cedar for Coop Construction?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by divinebovine, Aug 22, 2010.

1. divinebovine

divinebovine New Egg

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, after several month, I found a coop I like and can actually build. I was planning on using cedar for the coop, but I discovered you can't use cedar shavings on the floor (evidently chickens are allergic to it). So my question is, will my chickens be allergic to a cedar coop? [​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Cedar for construction is fine. I wouldn't use the kind of aromatic cedar they sell for cedar closets, though.

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know, we used regular plywood but [​IMG]

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Probably better than using treated wood and will last as long. Just clean up the sawdust after you're finished and there shouldn't be a problem.

5. GrandmaAnn

GrandmaAnn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Wisconsin
    We made our original coop out of cedar. It was the wood that we had. It was regular cedar plywood type siding. We have had to replace some of it while making repairs, but it worked fine for us. After about 25 years, some of it started rotting. I thought it would last longer.

6. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I traded a Surfboard for 3 square of beveled Cedar siding which was more than enough to side our 10x10 coop. I went over 15lb felt and OSB. Now some Olympic Color Wash. Or I will just let it gray out natural. I still have 2 surfboards left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by