cedar for nest boxes

Junior

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
Alabama
i have read about cedar shavings being toxic to chicks but how does it affect grown chickens?

i thought about making some nest boxes from cedar.....thought it might help keep mites and other bugs away.

also,what is the ideal size nest box for large fowl chickens.....RIR,etc.?

any advice will be appreciated
Junior

Geee, I would think an aged ceder would be okay, as long as most of the oils have gone. I mean if that's what you have on hand to use, but if you have a chose I wouldn't take a chance...that wasn't much help huh?
barnie.gif

Cedar oils and dust are irritants when on the skin or inhaled, which is why wood shavings of pine tend to work better for the health of chickens or small animals. I would think a solid piece of wood wouldn't have as many issues with small particles and oils- but if it is fragrant I don't know if that would indicate a potential a problem or not. I made my nest boxes out of plywood. I painted the bottom for easier cleaning, and dust with DE to prevent mites. I then layer a thin layer of pine shavings, and then hay. I have never had any issues with pests or any health problems at all. Nest boxes are often 12 inches by 12 inches (1 cubic foot with a sloping roof so that they cannot perch on it). Good luck!

thanks for the advice.i appreciate it.
i have access to other types of wood ( i just bought a small sawmill to help with clean up from the April tornados)...i just thought the cedar might help keep mites away.
i guess i need to a little more research before i use cedar.
thanks again.
Junior

Back
Top Bottom