Cedar or pine shavings/chips?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SSO202, Aug 29, 2008.

1. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    I thought I read some where that the cedar bedding chips were toxic to chickens. Does anyone have any insight on the topic? Should we be using pine chips/shavings instead of cedar chips/shavings? All help is appreciated!

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Yes, only use pine. Cedar shavings can be toxic to chickens!

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I 100 percent agree with equibling

4. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Don't use hardwood chips either, they will give splinters.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Cedar (some cedar, anyhow) contains volatile oils that irritate the respiratory tract of chickens and other small close-down-to-their-bedding types of animals. This can predispose to respiratory disease, or in serious cases pose a health problem just by itself.

That said, many people have used cedar shavings for many years (this includes both backyarders, serious poultry hobbyists, and commercial operations) without incident.

Since you don't know which group you will turn out to fall into - them as has problems with it, or them as doesn't - it is probably a lot smarter to avoid cedar.

JMHO,

Pat

6. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    Thank you all very much for the comments. I went and spent $6.25 on a 25lb bundle of pine shavings and turned the cedar I had used into my compost pile. I don't know how I didn't hear about cedar before I bought and used it. I spent almost two months on here reading posts before I even got the girls. It is certainly a learning process.

7. hens@reddirthill

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Just looking for a bit of clarification [​IMG]

I know pine shavings are ok to use for DLM, does that include pine chips (the ones that come out of a chipper)?

I have an unlimited supply of those and it would just make my day to know they could be put to some other use besides mulching the garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by