cedar or pine shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jphendrix, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jphendrix

jphendrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    I have 6 new baby chicks I bought from TSC Valentines day, and I heard the the cedar shavings are bad for them. Is this true? I had to use some of mamas bedding which is cedar shavings, because I forgot to get some when we got the chicks.

2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Pine, not cedar. I have never personally tried it, but I'd rather not risk my chicks.

3. rachlore

rachlore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Southern US
    I agree- pine. Chicks are worth the trouble.

4. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Cedar is bad for chicks because the fumes irritate their lungs. Go for pine or even shredded paper or something if you don't have access to pine

5. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Thank you all! I bought one of those big bags of pine shavings and am gonna clean out the brooder in a few. I just wanted to make sure that what I heard was true! Thank you!

6. Debs55

Good luck with your new babies! Can we expect some pics of them in their nice clean brooder?

7. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Thank you! They are so cute! sure thing! I will get some pics of them really soon!

8. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Here's some photos of my brooder cleaned out!!!! Fresh pine shavings! No cedar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Debs55

Aw how cute

10. TattooedKeeper3

TattooedKeeper3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Plantersville, Tx
    I have pine shavings in with my chicks and ducklings. They all seem like they are doing well, bouncy and active. I did throw in a bag of cedar shaving in with my adult hens to mix in with the hay. The coops are side by side. Each coop is 6 feet by 6 feet by 6 feet in height. The back wall is part of a wood fence we already had up and the other 3 sides are chicken wire. I put tarps up when they need a bit more protection from the elements. We live in Texas so we wanted to make sure that for the hot months, which are most of the year here, they had plenty of ventilation and wind could reach them.

Would the Cedar shavings mixed in with the hay for the adult hens be okay in that sort of coop? They are really only in there to sleep, other than that they roam the chicken yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by