cedar/pine shavings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pefferlawchicken, Mar 31, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    i have made my brooder and useed a bag of store baught litter and its pine/cedar mix is this ok ???? cant get any pine

2. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    i put some pine shavings in mine like you get a walmart, they started to pick at it, so i took it out.i was afraid they was going to eat it and didnt want to take that chance.. that is what i did. maybe someone will give you a more precise answer to your question. hope so

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

In my opinion, I would line it with papertowels for the first few days till they figure out that bedding is bedding and food is food in the shiny silver bowl.

4. Lmarie

Lmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    Cedar bad. I put in kiln dried aspen shavings. No odor, and little dust. My opinions... [​IMG]

5. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    what about shreede paper?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What do you mean you can't get any pine?

H.H.Goode's in Uxbridge, the Co-op in Sunderland or Stoufville, Country Depot on the W side of Newmarket, etcetera etcetera etcetera. I assume there is also a feedstore in Mt Albert or north of there, I just don't know a name. But, plenty of places within 15-30 min of you.

About $5 for a bale larger than your chicks will go through anytime soon.

Pat

7. Keriamon

Keriamon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Is there any particular reason why people can't or don't use just plain soil in the bottom of a chicken coop for the chicks? With a horse at hand, I've got composted horse poop out the yin-yang that would be easily tossed in and tossed back out to compost some more with the droppings in it.

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I recomend using paper towels the first few days, I sprinkle chick starter on the floor, it seems to help them find thier food easier.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:You can but I keep my chicks indoors for at least the first week, then move them out to a brooder thats up off the ground with a heat lamp.

10. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    NO CEDER!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by