Cedar Roosts?? Good idea, or bad??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sred98, May 5, 2009.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've done a search and can't quite find the answer to my question...I've got a cedar tree up against my house that I need to cut down. It is covered in lots of long straight branches that I was thinking of selling as walking stick "blanks", but then decided that they would probably make a great roost for the chickens.

I know you aren't supposed to use cedar shavings in the coop because of the dust and breathing issues, but what about for the roosts? Seems like it would keep mites away and be pretty strong. Has anyone done this?

Shelly

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi Shelly - how are you? I think cedar roosts would be fine in a coop - great idea, actually. Your clucks aren't going to try to eat it (not like little chicks might with cedar shavings), and as long as the roosts are in a ventilated area I don't see a problem.

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Hey Beth! Atwoods in BA has their St. Run BR and their older EE pullets on half price! I may go get some more EE later today. I got 2 BR and 2 BO that were, hopefully, pullets! The EE have the wing bands.

Thanks for the input! If you want any cedar roosts, let me know! [​IMG]

Shelly

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. No problem using cedar roosts because of the fumes. People build coops out of cedar and don't have problems. The shavings have a lot more surface area so they release a lot more fumes which can cause a problem.

I don't know if cedar roosts will stop red mites or not. Red mites are the ones that hide in cracks and crevices during the day and attack the chickens at night. I'd take the bark off to give them fewer places to hide and make it easier to treat.

I'm using oak branches for my roosts that became available due to our ice storm. I made mine removable so I can get them out of the way when I clean the coop. My bark is still on as it will be another two months before I need them. I'm waiting for them to dry out better so the bark will come off easier.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by