Cedar shavings in yard.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by txredwine, Apr 30, 2011.

1. txredwine

txredwine New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    Want to have 3-5 chickens as pets. Our yard has cedar mulch in beds. So when out of coop they would be walking on it and grass. Is this ok for grown chickens? We read it is poisonous to chicks. Please send suggestions or comments.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Absolutely no problem whatsoever at all I personally guarantee [​IMG]

The issue with cedar, which is more lab-conditions than actual-chicken-coop-reality, is the volatile oils (smelly vapors [​IMG]) in a confined space.

Cedar mulch outdoors is 100% fine.

Pat

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Welcome to the forum!

There are many wise and experienced chicken keepers here on this forum, and Patandchickens is among the wisest and most experienced. When she says cedar mulch is ok, you can count on her being right.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Er, while I certainly appreciate the compliment [​IMG], and I do have a considerable number of years' experience with a) building things, b) fixing things, and c) livestock housing in general [especially horses, but other things too], I am not especially experienced with chickens, there are any number of people on this forum with far FAR more chicken experience than I have.

I just type faster than most other people who hang out in the Design/construction/maintenance section of the forum LOL

Pat

5. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Cedar = bad for chickens

Armadillo = Leprosy

Chocolate = poisonous to your dog

To the above = Bullshirt

I learned long ago, don't believe everything you read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by