Cedar Shavings - Question

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
We went to a "Garage Sale" and the person that was running the whole deal asked me if I had any critters that needed some bedding and he gave me a bag or "Cedar Shavings." I was pretty sure that cedar is toxic to birds so before I used it I wanted to ask you guys.
smile.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

We went to a "Garage Sale" and the person that was running the whole deal asked me if I had any critters that needed some bedding and he gave me a bag or "Cedar Shavings." I was pretty sure that cedar is toxic to birds so before I used it I wanted to ask you guys.
smile.png

You're right cedar shavings are toxic to birds. It's bad for their respiratory system, so steer clear of cedar shavings for your chickens.​

Nope. It's been linked to liver failure in rabbits. Mulch for your garden? I bet it will make your compost smell sweet.

U can use it for your horses! Won't hurt them a bit. I use it with mine (or the dogs) every chance I get! Next load will go in the isle/arena because it keeps the barn smelling nicer longer. Anyway, with all the critters you have listed I'm sure you can find a use for it. (I put the pup in a stall if I have to be gone for long periods of time so there is a bale of cedar in his stall, but I usually get it by the truck load in amish country...)

I use cedar in dog beds for flea control. There is a sandpit practically in my backyard so I am constantly battling sand fleas. A few small cedar twigs crushed up or cedar shavings tucked in between the cover and stuffing in a dog bed really helps, works for cats too. In cases where I have run out of cedar, I have snitched husbands cedar hunting cover scent made from oil of cedar. works and the dogs smell great too. also works for cats.

A very experienced poultry keeping friend of ours (with more than 20 years of experience) uses a handful of cedar shavings in his nestboxes under the pine shavings to help deter mites. Not more than that, though.

Back
Top Bottom