Cedar Shavings - Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    We went to a "Garage Sale" and the person that was running the whole deal asked me if I had any critters that needed some bedding and he gave me a bag or "Cedar Shavings." I was pretty sure that cedar is toxic to birds so before I used it I wanted to ask you guys. [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

We went to a "Garage Sale" and the person that was running the whole deal asked me if I had any critters that needed some bedding and he gave me a bag or "Cedar Shavings." I was pretty sure that cedar is toxic to birds so before I used it I wanted to ask you guys. [​IMG]

You're right cedar shavings are toxic to birds. It's bad for their respiratory system, so steer clear of cedar shavings for your chickens.​

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I was pretty sure it was! Thanks for confirming! [​IMG]
    Can I use it for rabbits or other small rodents? ( Not that I have any! [​IMG] )

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Nope. It's been linked to liver failure in rabbits. Mulch for your garden? I bet it will make your compost smell sweet.

5. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    U can use it for your horses! Won't hurt them a bit. I use it with mine (or the dogs) every chance I get! Next load will go in the isle/arena because it keeps the barn smelling nicer longer. Anyway, with all the critters you have listed I'm sure you can find a use for it. (I put the pup in a stall if I have to be gone for long periods of time so there is a bale of cedar in his stall, but I usually get it by the truck load in amish country...)

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Okay thanks for the advice!
    We'll probably put it in the garden since we don't keep our horses in stables! [​IMG] Our horses run loose on the ranch. [​IMG] I'm Free [​IMG]

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I've heard it was good for dog beds, keeps fleas down. Not sure if it's true or not because I haven't tried it. Not good for chicks though.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Humm ...

9. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    I use cedar in dog beds for flea control. There is a sandpit practically in my backyard so I am constantly battling sand fleas. A few small cedar twigs crushed up or cedar shavings tucked in between the cover and stuffing in a dog bed really helps, works for cats too. In cases where I have run out of cedar, I have snitched husbands cedar hunting cover scent made from oil of cedar. works and the dogs smell great too. also works for cats.

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    A very experienced poultry keeping friend of ours (with more than 20 years of experience) uses a handful of cedar shavings in his nestboxes under the pine shavings to help deter mites. Not more than that, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by